Tohatsu M40D 1996 lower unit replacement

BigRed34

Recruit
I have knocked off the skeg and cracked the lower unit (now leaking gear oil) of my motor and wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction on where I need to get a replacement lower unit.

Thanks

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tohatsu M40D 1996 lower unit replacement

I have knocked off the skeg and cracked the lower unit (now leaking gear oil) of my motor and wanted to see if someone could point me in the right direction on where I need to get a replacement lower unit.

Thanks

Before you go through the expense of replacing the whole lower unit I would check with my local boat yard about just having the crack filled with some type of epoxy. I snapped the skeg off of my outboard years ago. The yard just filled it with a liquid metal epoxy and it lasted for years (in salt water) until I sold the motor. It doesn't look so pretty but it worked fine and saved a lot of $$$.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M40D 1996 lower unit replacement

Very true. If it can be repaired, cool Otherwise, used may be your best bet. The older (grey) LU's are out of stock (new) in the US. You didn't mention whether you need a Short or Long (or ultra-long), but a New unit, in the new (almost black) "Aquamarine Blue" would be pretty pricey: 3T5Q873011 LOWER UNIT ASSY S (AMB) $1,405.40 msrp.