6hp Nissan 4 stroke with broken water tube

SanityCheck27

Recruit
my 6hp Nissan has a broken water tube up in the power head, I ordered a factory service manual but it will not be here for another week. My questions is do I just remove the six bolts holding the drive shaft housing on or is there something else I need to release to remove the lower drive shaft housing. The lower unit is already removed. Thank you Robert

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 6hp Nissan 4 stroke with broken water tube

You didn't mention model (you could have a 6A, B, or C), but they are all similar. The water tube is L-shaped, and meets a grommet at the motor base. Yes, to separate the powerhead from the exhaust housing, you will pull those six 6mm bolts (with 10mm heads). In our shop, we extract the powerhead, and leave the exhaust housing attached to the transom clamp for that kind of work. You will want a new base gasket, as well as whatever parts have been damaged. How did the water tube get broken? That's an unusual problem.

SanityCheck27

Recruit

Paul my 6hp is a model 6A. I removed the six (6mm) bolts on the top of the exhaust housing along with removing the shift linkage and the electrical connections but having a hard time pulling the engine up, Is there any other bolts I need to remove before I pull the engine? I picked up this engine last weekend and was told it was run in saltwater but there is very little corrosion on the engine it appears the copper water tube broken just before the "L" as the material is very thin in this area almost like electrolysis was attacking this area causing failure. Thank you for you help Robert

pvanv

Admiral

You may need a lever to "pop" the power head off of the base gasket. Other than that, you should be fine.

SanityCheck27

Recruit

Paul, That did it! Installing the new water tube and housing gasket she will be back on the water in no time. Thank you for your help. Robert