honda 40 hp running problems

cfstokes55

Recruit
i have a 96 handa 40 4 stroke and when you first crank the boat up it runns great. the problem i have is when you go to give it gass it bogs down the kicks back up only to bog down again. if you run with the chock half way out it runns better it dosnt bog down as much. after a little bit of running it all quits and then you have to put the chock back in to run at top speed. the problem you have then is you will run great excep when you quickly accerate the it bogs and then jumps out hole i would be fine with this it is just the whole issue of not running right when first cranked up. i thought it was a carb issue but i have cleaned and cleaned them and still doing it, have even tacken to someone else to clean same thing. cant be gass i have gone threw several tanks of gass and the same with all of them. I have done all i know to do and i really want to have problem fixed. please help.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: honda 40 hp running problems

Welcome to the forums

Honda is not my favorite horse brand, you could have fuel pump issues, probaby deffective diaphragms (cracked, dried) whatever, when you pull choque you are forcing gas inside engine. Other issues to check, worn hose o'rings letting air in and bogging engine down, internal tank pickup filter, main filter or fuel hose kind of clogged ?

Happy Boating

cfstokes55

Recruit
Re: honda 40 hp running problems

that dose make sence but is there a way to test the fuel pumpm the see if it is getting enough fule threw it, when you unhook the pump to the carbs it pumps the gass out now its not a hard stream but it is also not a drip comeing out.