Nissan NS9.9D - convert long to short shaft vs jack plate

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought a newer 12' tracker v12, and a 96 nissan 9.9 2 stroke. The Nissan is a long shaft, the boat is designed for a short shaft. I got a very good price on the motor because it was missing the tiller handle(no longer available from dealers, the seller had given up trying to find one). There was one on ebay at the same time so that's already taken care of. :D

I'm aware of the price difference, it's obviously going to be cheaper out of pocket to do a jack plate, but I'm also thinking that my long driveshaft and housing could be sold to recoup some of the cost so it might be the same either way if I can find a used driveshaft for cheap.

Is there are reason why I would not want to use a jack plate? It almost seams like it would be better because there would be the ability to adjust height, and also have setback, but I don't know if any of that matters with a little boat like this that will be used primarily for fishing. The boat is only 5 years old, so the transom is in good shape and should be able to handle the extra stress.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Nissan NS9.9D - convert long to short shaft vs jack plate

Welcome to the forums,

A 5" transom mount/jack plate is the most cost effective compared to complete tail swap. Should perform well. Paul could confirm if the 9.9 D2 tiller which is the actual newer version matches properly ? Fingers crossed. Need something like this :

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Transom Mount.JPG
    Transom Mount.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The tiller handle is available from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer and a transom extender plate would be more cost effective than doing a conversion.

Bronlonius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The tiller handle is available from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer and a transom extender plate would be more cost effective than doing a conversion.

Hmm. Already found a used one, so it doesn't really matter, but good to know about the tiller handle. All of the sites I looked on listed it as "obsolete", so I assumed that it was discontinued because of this and since the seller made it sound like it would be impossible to find.

pvanv

Admiral

Hmm. Already found a used one, so it doesn't really matter, but good to know about the tiller handle. All of the sites I looked on listed it as "obsolete", so I assumed that it was discontinued because of this and since the seller made it sound like it would be impossible to find.

Whenever working on older ("obsolete") motors, be sure to check with an actual Dealer, as opposed to a "supplier" who is not directly affiliated with the manufacturer. Many parts will be unavailable for that motor in a few years (since it is considered obsolete in North America), but at the moment, a lot of parts are still available.

The jack plate option will be a lot more cost effective (plus faster and easier to install), and will allow you the flexibility to use the Long motor in a different application in the future.