Honda 5HP outboard spraying fuel at engine to fuel line connector

kalinkap

Recruit
Hi everyone,
I have a 1995 long shaft 5 hp Honda outboard and have been having problems over the past few months. First, my engine would run but would sputter out after a few minutes of running like it was running out of gas. I could pump the primer ball to keep the motor running but nonetheless inconvenient. I thought that what I would need to do is to replace the connector. I was able to track down one of the old-style connectors with 2 round ports and was certain that would fix it. Nope.

Now what I get is a little different - the new connector sprays out gasoline when I pump the primer ball from right where the engine meets the fuel connector. That made me think that I needed to change out the engine side where the connector fits on but same exact result - spraying gas.

I'm starting to think that the problem might be on my fuel line between the gas tank and the connector to hook on to the motor. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I replaced the fuel line last year with a brand new line but one thing to note, the new line is larger. It is a 3/8" line. I am not sure what the old line was but I'm guessing 5/16" or 1/4". What size line should I be using?

Thanks in advance for your help. It is coming time to take the boat out of the water and now I'm having trouble starting the motor!!!!

I have attached a couple photos for you to look at the connection between fuel line and motor.photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

kalinkap

Recruit
Re: Honda 5HP outboard spraying fuel at engine to fuel line connector

One other thing to mention - when I replaced the motor side fitting, I tried priming the connection to see if it would just spray through cleanly but it did not. The same thing happened where the connection between the fuel line fitting and the engine connector sprayed. The reason I wonder if it has something to do with the line size is that I'm wondering if I'm giving the connector too much pressure when I prime it and it is blowing past the o-ring.

Hi everyone,
I have a 1995 long shaft 5 hp Honda outboard and have been having problems over the past few months. First, my engine would run but would sputter out after a few minutes of running like it was running out of gas. I could pump the primer ball to keep the motor running but nonetheless inconvenient. I thought that what I would need to do is to replace the connector. I was able to track down one of the old-style connectors with 2 round ports and was certain that would fix it. Nope.

Now what I get is a little different - the new connector sprays out gasoline when I pump the primer ball from right where the engine meets the fuel connector. That made me think that I needed to change out the engine side where the connector fits on but same exact result - spraying gas.

I'm starting to think that the problem might be on my fuel line between the gas tank and the connector to hook on to the motor. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I replaced the fuel line last year with a brand new line but one thing to note, the new line is larger. It is a 3/8" line. I am not sure what the old line was but I'm guessing 5/16" or 1/4". What size line should I be using?

Thanks in advance for your help. It is coming time to take the boat out of the water and now I'm having trouble starting the motor!!!!

I have attached a couple photos for you to look at the connection between fuel line and motor.View attachment 173124View attachment 173125

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the gas spurting out from where the rubber hose clamps on to the fitting (near that hose clamp) or from where the fitting on the hose end goes over the mating fitting on the motor? If the latter, I wonder if you bought a hose with a fitting that does not quite match the fitting on the engine. I replaced the hose assembly for my '91 8HP Honda, and was told to buy one from a Honda distributor, that is, a genuine Honda hose. It was more than some generic hoses I saw, but it does fit and does not leak. I was told by repair shops that the fittings may look almost the same but don't quite match exactly. Also, this may sound obvious, but make sure the fitting is going on the engine the right way - it isn't that hard to push it on with the two pins reversed.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Basically the generic crap does not mate perfectly with OEM. So, you either go OEM for both or generic with both.