nissan 3.5 2 stroke not starting

Ssericz

Cadet
So I traded a running nissan 8hp for this 3.5 for use as a kicker on my skiff and when we traded it started just fine that night a few weeks later we went out and when we went to fire up the kicker it ran for a whole 30 seconds or so and kaput that was about a year ago and i still have yet to be able to get it started. The 8hp never had any issues and started right up like a champ and I just want to smash this thing.

I have tried the easy things without opening up the cowling ( fresh gas, playing with the fuel shut off ect)

what should I try?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: nissan 3.5 2 stroke not starting

As with any no-start condition, you need to diagnose the problem, rather than guess. If the task seems daunting, see a dealer. At this point, your problem could literally be anything. If you want to do the diagnosis and repair yourself, I would highly recommend you pickup a Factory service manual, available from any dealer, including me.

What is your model? Is this an NS3.5B? What does the plug look like? Is there spark? Is the stop lanyard clipped in? Is the fuel **** filter clear? If it ran for 30 seconds or so, and then quit, you may have starved for fuel (or even flooded), of there may be an ignition malfunction.

With a little more information, we may be able to help you more. In any event, it will be necessary to remove the motor cover to inspect and diagnose the problem.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 93' nissan 3.5hp very easy to work on except the hood(cowl) was a pain to take&put on because of the screws and design.
We need alittle more info like PVANV says. How can we tell if its fuel-related, no spark, or very low compression? It may be something simple

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a 93' nissan 3.5hp very easy to work on except the hood(cowl) was a pain to take&put on because of the screws and design.
We need alittle more info like PVANV says. How can we tell if its fuel-related, no spark, or very low compression? It may be something simple

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Start by checking if emergency lanyard is attached to stop switch and if there's a spark when pulling rope ? Remove both cowl's lateral sides, remove carb fuel hose, with sufficient fuel on tank, open fuel valve, check if flow exits fast, if slight amount, or not at all, clean mesh filter inside fuel **** & tank interior as well. Pour fresh gas in, if doesn't start, probably carb bowl's needle is clogged and varnished, check, clean. You must run engine carb bowl dry after each outing to avoid this issue when runing 2 strokes outboards. Report findings.

Happy Boating

Ssericz

Cadet

Ok took off the cowl and what do i find! The fuel valve is broken. Went to my local nissan dealer 18 bucks new one on thwre fresh gas and bam first pull started up and putted perfectly.

Now my questions how much gas does the tank hold and whats the "right" mixture (gas/oil)
Thanks
Eric

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

The tank is quite small 1.4 liters, slight less so not to overfill and breath right is fine, will last for a 30 minute wot spin. Need 50:1 fuel/oil ratio. Any TCW3-2 stroke oil will perform well, pick the brand of your choice. Would be advisable to wrap 2-3 teflon turns on tank neck prior inserting new fuel **** back in, clamp will close better tight at neck and avoid fuel spills specially during summer when fuel heats and vapors up more.

Happy Boating

Ssericz

Cadet

Dang got it all together already next time i will do the teflon lol
I figured 50:1 but wanted to be sure