Old Honda BF75 and BF100 Paint.

FZ1

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks, After acquiring a 1985 vintage Honda BF100 that has good compression and spark and is oil tight, I started sprucing it up with the usual lower end inspection, impeller, new ignition etc. But this one had some serious lower end algae and corrosion, plus scratch issues and the previous owner had tried to "seal" the powerhead case to the midsection (unnecessarily) with some dark, brown, semi-hardended sealer that he managed to smear one inch on ether surface. Then, he apparently painted the lower with some kind of alkyd house paint that was 42 shades of too light a blue color. Yes, a project indeed, but it is almost winter ya know :).

Anyway, I'll get to the point. After 3 weeks searching this forum and many, many others, and calling Honda dealers in Canada and the US. (i'm in Ontario) and then Colorite Canada and Both US. numbers. I simply could not get any help finding the B109 Neptune blue color that used to be available from Honda and Colorite. ITs discontinued and that is all.

I found that Duplicolor (acrylic enamel) (premium automotive formulation) part number CDA1620 Royal Blue is so freakin close to the color that I needed its still hard to believe. I found this at the Local Canadian tire store. Right there in the automotive paint section. Its an almost perfect match. Its just one color brighter than the original but thats to be expected comparing new to 20 yr old paint. But its close enough that you can put one part with new paint next to one with old paint and its not obvious. I have pictures to prove this, but my camera is not good enough to show any difference. It really is that close.!

I'm not sure yet of the quality of the paint once exposed to water,... but it seams really good paint so far. I put it on in 3 coats like I was painting a car. And for $9.99/can how can you go wrong for a paint color that doesn't exist anymore?

Hope this helps someone looking to restore an old Honda