Nissan 18E (2 stroke) Carb settings?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Started my 18E after about a year and a half of sitting, and it would not idle down. Took the carb off and found some gunk in the bottom of the bowl. Must of stored it with gas still in the carb! Stupid mistake. I did have a carb rebuild kit that I hadn't used. :) Dis-assembled and soaked parts overnight. Should be re-assembling this evening. I think I left my manual at camp (3 hours away). :( I need the float level setting and the pilot screw initial setting, and any other initial adj I might of missed. Thx.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 18E (2 stroke) Carb settings?

Float should be parallel to the carb casting when the carb is inverted. Start the pilot about 1-3/4 or 2 turns out.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Thx for very quick response. :)

John_S

Rear Admiral

Got her all reassembled and carb installed back on engine. Ran out of daylight to fire her back up.

I did find my manuals, and was surprised to find a warning to not use carb dip. Only use aerosol solvent or isopropyl alcohol. I hope I didn't dissolve something I shouldn't.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The manual does say not to use carb dip...The manual is wrong:) The Japs were more concerned with the dip dissolving the protective coating on the carb rather than your ability to actually get the thing clean. It's a classic case of the engineer not knowing how to work on the product they design:)

pvanv

Admiral

The manual does say not to use carb dip...The manual is wrong:) The Japs were more concerned with the dip dissolving the protective coating on the carb rather than your ability to actually get the thing clean. It's a classic case of the engineer not knowing how to work on the product they design:)

Yes. 100% right! Remember that Japanese fuel is tons cleaner and better than our US garbage, so they don't get nearly the varnishing problems that we do. And, if improperly used (for too long or too warm), corrosive carb dip could attack the castings. Used correctly, it's by far the best technique.

John_S

Rear Admiral

THX, carb dip is how I always have done it, and never thought twice before using it. Should find out this evening if I fixed the issue. thx again.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Fired her up on the muffs, this evening. Idles down fine, again. :) Thx.