Honda submerged and now won't start.

baghead

Cadet
I recently lost my honda bsf75 7.5hp off the back of an old deck boat. The motor was only underwater for about a half an hour. About 7hrs after I got it out. I did what I thought was needed to save it. I drained the fuel and flushed, drained and replaced oil and pulled on starter rope 6 or 7 times with the spark plugs removed and then drained it again and refilled. I shot some WD into the cylinders then started it in a tank and let it run for 10 or 15 minutes. Everything seemed fine. I put it back on my aluminum boat and took it to the lake to test it out. It started right up but then stalled. I could not get it started again. It did not even try to fire. I later read in the manual that you are suppose to engage the kill switch when you pull on rope when you have the plugs out or you might cause "electrical damage". I am not sure why. First: why would that cause a problem? Second: Why would it start and run and then nothing. I have gone through the forums pretty thoroughly and noted 2 or 3 other cases where submerged engine would start and then nothing.
I have pulled the carburetor cleaned. I then checked for spark and found I have none. I checked at night and could not see any spark. I blew out any water I could see when I replaced the oil. It was already dry by that time being that it was about 110 that day.
Any ideas why it would run then nothing and where I should start electrically. The ignition is CDI (a sealed unit). If you could help me understand the delayed reaction myself and others have had I sure would appreciate it. Next time maybe I will read the forum on "mounting kickers" FIRST.
Not sure if it matters but the engine was running when it went down.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda submerged and now won't start.

Try removing one cable from kill cord switch, so to bypass switch. If engine starts it's an internal contact issue. You should always secure both engine clamps eyelids with small rope, just in case...

Happy Boating

baghead

Cadet
Re: Honda submerged and now won't start.

Try removing one cable from kill cord switch, so to bypass switch. If engine starts it's an internal contact issue. You should always secure both engine clamps eyelids with small rope, just in case...

I was trying to find where I was losing spark and happened to test coil while was in gear. For some reason my neutral switch has continuity in forward and reverse but not neutral. I bypassed and it started right up. Got any ideas why? I will address safety issue later. Going fishing now.