2002 Tohatsu 3.5 putting in gear issue?

soulofasailor

Recruit
When i put this Tohatsu 3.5 in gear, this thing KICKS so Violently it shears my pins! I have replaced it with a Steel pin and it is not shearing but i dont think it should go in gear so hard . i got this second hand and i know nothing about outboards, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
ngine.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 Tohatsu 3.5 kicks in gear violently .??

Re: 2002 Tohatsu 3.5 kicks in gear violently .??

Check your throttle lever is fully downward against base, if ok, seems your engine is too much accelerated. There's a small hole located at right side of engine cowl, visually check. With a small flat screwdriver with engine on and fully warmed, turn adjusting idle screw CCW to slow rpm down, adjust to a position until engine gears forward with a dry click and doesn't shut off.

Happy Boating

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: 2002 Tohatsu 3.5 putting in gear issue?

+1 on adjusting the idle. Check the manufacturers specs and set accordingly. Mine used to kick hard as well, but never sheared the pin.

soulofasailor

Recruit

My thing is how would this change since i bought it? i haven't used it until now, it has been 5 months since the guy showed me it worked!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If it was idling hard last time, will keep doing same this time. With time and salt shift lever will turn hard to engage, remove cover shift lever, pull large screw and lever assy. If hard to remove, apply an overdose of W40 and let penetrate. Clean well interior of lever housing and apply water grease to both. Assemble back, will slide and gear much smoother.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

Your idle is way too fast. Adjust that and enjoy.

pvanv

Admiral

All the current shear pins are now stainless. Reduces nuisance shearing. Don't use a plain steel pin, or it will rust beyond belief.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I've seen this a zillion times and it is always because someone is shifting above low idle speed.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Being a 10 year oldie, would be advisable to remove both side covers and apply a few oil drops to throttle lever where it meets with throttle holder including carb throttle rod to slide freely and evenly.. Move throttle and rod upwards, downwards for oil to penetrate.

Happy Boating

soulofasailor

Recruit

What kind of OIL do i use , and i need to take both sides off?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

What kind of OIL do i use , and i need to take both sides off?

Could use a light W10-30 car oil, automatic transmission oil, the red one. Will have better access to carb if both side covers are removed. Pull spark plug lid downward. You have 5 screws per side, 1 under spark plug area, 3 in middle, 1 under front side. Adjust with a wide screwdriver the screw that holds carb throat against intake manifold just in case bit lose and sucking air.

Apply some oil drops where throttle rod enters carb, with finger pull rod up/down and check if slides freely. Once covers are removed, you will see side carb idle screw. Could take advantage to remove fuel tank, remove small fuel hose, turn fuel **** screw loose, remove **** & clean internal fuel ****'s filter and inside of tank as well.

Happy Boating