should my rib boat plane with a 7.5 hp honda on it

grarchie

Recruit
hi
i have a honda 7.5hp on a 2.8m yam rib.
it will not get on the plane .it feels like the engine is not getting enough fuel or somthing.
it strats fine and runs great but when i give it full throttle it feels like it is holding back.i bought the engine two days ago
and fitted to the rib. the engine had not been started for two years but it started on the second pull.any advice please:eek:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: should my rib boat plane with a 7.5 hp honda on it

A 2.8 m rib has excesive hull drag, a larger rib would plane much faster with same motor. Trim engine to be perpendicular to water level, move forward to bow and full throttle, should put into plane, not if you have water splashes at rear transom, as this issue will slow you down. Check

Happy Boating

B-Dozer

Seaman

what pitch is your prop ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

First, check you have a 100% operational engine, well inflated rib, well trimed, with load ballanced towards front, with engine sitting at correct transom height, then with an induction tach installed check achieved rpm at wot to see if inside factory working parameters stated for that engine, then you can play with prop pitch to suit your boating needs. Without a tach, this is not a wild guess change...

Happy Boating