Tohatsu M25C3: Metall crisp at the lower unit/exhaust - please help!

hello_world

Recruit
Hello my name is Gunter and I?m new here at the iboats forum.

I do have a serious problem with my Tohatsu M25C3 - 2002. Today I suddenly had only 2/3 of the power and when I tried to run the motor at idle speed, it went of.

I checked the sparkplugs - OK (no part were missing).
I already checked the waterpump - everythin is OK.

But when I removed the lower unit I found some metal crisps. What does that mean????

Can anybody give me some advice?

Sorry for my bad english.

Kind regards!

Gunter/Austria

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M25C3: Metall crisp at the lower unit/exhaust - please help!

Gunter,

If you have metal fragments inside the lower unit, you should take the LU apart and inspect the gears and clutch. You may have damage there. If you have metal bits inside the exhaust housing, you may have damage to the powerhead, or may have broken a reed, which then went through the motor into the exhaust. If that's the case, a compression test is called for. If low, possibly then pull the cylinder head to look for a bad piston or ring. If compression is OK, check the reeds.

hello_world

Recruit

I?ve found the problem!!!

20120818_184706 klein.jpg

Gunter

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Is there a small piece missing at lower piston ? If so, luckily that metal piece went clean through the exhaust and piston didn't smash it against exhaust port wall with terrible consequences. See a deep linear cut at 11 o'clock, is it so ? Seems piston has overheated...

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

While you can have the block bored and go in with oversize pistons, it might be a good idea to tear the block down the rest of the way and check the crank and it's bearings before thinking about boring.