50hp Tohatsu with remote starts in gear

Sinclare

Cadet
I recently purchased a year 2000 MacGregor 26X with a 1999 50hp Tohatsu with remote control. It started in gear. Before starting, the remote shifted ok in Forward-Nuetral-Reverse. I noticed the prop would not turn (before starting and before I tested the shifting), yet it had a few inches-or-so of play. I decided to start it anyway to see if it would shift properly while running (engine cover off, ear muffs attached).

I gently push/pulled the remote control shift lever through forward, neutral and reverse, yet the shifter rod inside the engine did not move and the prop kept running in the same direction. I then shifted to neutral. I moved the flat-handled throttle-neutral lever to increase and decrease rpm successfully. I then closed the neutral lever and moved the throttle lever to both forward and reverse with no problem. In fact, I tried to shift with the neutral lever partially open to see if it would prevent shifting as it's supposed to do and it worked fine.

My guess is: I have a shift cable attachment problem? The throttle works well, both at the remote control and inside the engine; but the shift rod is not getting the message to shift. Any suggestions?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 50hp Tohatsu with remote starts in gear

You probably have an M50D2, right? Year is irrelevant, but model/serial is critical. Assuming you have the side-mount RC box (3 bolts to fasten it, neutral warm-up lever, push-to-choke key switch, and single lever), you probably have had the shift cable clevis pop off at the control box, or you could have a damaged cable. Pull the RC box off, remove the 2 screws that retain the lower cover to expose the cables, and you may find a missing 6mm e-clip, or the cable jacket may not be engaged in the gate at the edge of the box.

Sinclare

Cadet

Hello Paul, Thanks for responding!

Yes, it's an M50D2 3E3, serial# 62709 I have a busy day today and tomorrow. Thereafter, I'll follow-up with your instructions and get back to you.

Sinclare

Cadet

You probably have an M50D2, right? Year is irrelevant, but model/serial is critical. Assuming you have the side-mount RC box (3 bolts to fasten it, neutral warm-up lever, push-to-choke key switch, and single lever), you probably have had the shift cable clevis pop off at the control box, or you could have a damaged cable. Pull the RC box off, remove the 2 screws that retain the lower cover to expose the cables, and you may find a missing 6mm e-clip, or the cable jacket may not be engaged in the gate at the edge of the box.

The e-clip is in place and the cable jacket is engaged in the gate. I moved the levers slowly and looked for anything unusual. (FYI, the choke is not a push-to-choke key switch. It's a pull-choke located on the front of the motor)

pvanv

Admiral

If everything is connected and working at the RC box, yet the shift cable doesn't move at the motor, you have a bad cable. Probably corroded and snapped. If that's the case, replace both cables to be on the safe side. You will need to know the length (in feet) of the cable to order the correct replacement. We like the Hi-Lex cables that Tohatsu America handles. Moderate price, and very good performance, with low friction. For example, if you need 9-footers, you would order HC49J96-09FT, $36.59 each. Price varies a little with length.

Sinclare

Cadet

If everything is connected and working at the RC box, yet the shift cable doesn't move at the motor, you have a bad cable. Probably corroded and snapped. If that's the case, replace both cables to be on the safe side. You will need to know the length (in feet) of the cable to order the correct replacement. We like the Hi-Lex cables that Tohatsu America handles. Moderate price, and very good performance, with low friction. For example, if you need 9-footers, you would order HC49J96-09FT, $36.59 each. Price varies a little with length.

Rainy weekend here so I'll be delayed in a follow-up again. However, thought I'd discuss removal beginning with the shift cable. (Beware of my possible lack of mechanical common sense and terminology) After disconnecting the shift cable, let's say at the motor, and before removing it, should I pull on it to see if it's broken before I actually replace it?

If I do replace the cables, how difficult is it to snake them through the corrogated tubing that houses all cables and wires. I noticed that the corrugated tubing is "open" yet tied closed with plastic cable - wire ties, so it looks like it's a combination of removing some of the cable ties as I snake along. Am I making sense?

pvanv

Admiral

Rainy weekend here so I'll be delayed in a follow-up again. However, thought I'd discuss removal beginning with the shift cable. (Beware of my possible lack of mechanical common sense and terminology) After disconnecting the shift cable, let's say at the motor, and before removing it, should I pull on it to see if it's broken before I actually replace it?

If I do replace the cables, how difficult is it to snake them through the corrogated tubing that houses all cables and wires. I noticed that the corrugated tubing is "open" yet tied closed with plastic cable - wire ties, so it looks like it's a combination of removing some of the cable ties as I snake along. Am I making sense?

You can confirm the bad cable that way, but you have already diagnosed that it moves at the RC box, yet not at the motor, so the cable is confirmed bad.

Each boat's cable routing is different; some are easier than others. We usually cut any ty-raps, replace the cables, and install new, uv-resistant cable ties.

Sinclare

Cadet

Paul,

Thanks so much for your help! I'll proceed with repair and get back to you this week as soon as I can.

Sinclare

Cadet

Paul,

I've attached the throttle and shift cables to the Remote. I then attached the shift cable to the engine successfully. The Remote handle is in neutral. The throttle cable with the cable joint screwed on is too short by about an inch or so. The cable grooves are properly seated in the "entrance" bracket which is tightly screwed on. Any suggestions.

The cables I purchased (Tele-flex) are exactly the same length as the old cables.

pvanv

Admiral

You need to know how to adjust the ends. They are not supposed to screwed all the way on; more like 1/2 way, but each installation is unique. Set the clevis ends so the cable slips easily over the lever (be sure the motor is at idle). Then set the locknut. Information is in your owner's manual. See http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/manuals.html

Sinclare

Cadet

DONE! Thanks for your guidance paul.

When you directed me to the owners manual website, I discovered what I hadn't noticed in my paper-back version. The magnified and vivid website version showed WHY the cables in the drawing are staggered. I originally had them aligned rather than staggered in the entrance bracket. I noticed there was a reason for the small inverted "U", on the entrance bracket and that's where the throttle groove fit.:redface:

I'm now trying to screw back the long screws which hold the Remote to the console. Is it a matter of feel in finding unseen holes? (Please disregard. I was able to put everything back in order.)

Thanks again for volunteering your time and detailed knowledge! :)