Honda BF50A-- tilt/trim motor replacement

Macaroon

Recruit
Hi all, FYI-- The 12 volt tilt/trim motor on my Honda BF 50 outboard (on MacGregor 26M) was bad. I bought non-OEM replacement motor from DBElectrical. I tried to mount new motor with t/t unit in place. I could not get new t/t motor to seal properly (would leak fluid around base, when activated). I had to support outboard, remove right-side outboard motor bracket bolts, undo main outboard pivot bolt nuts, then move bracket to the right, to get the t/t/ unit off.

THE MAIN PROBLEM with non-OEM t/t motor-- The motor base plate, on the side that fit against the hydraulic cylinder casting, was about 1/8 inch too wide (when I tried to fit the new motor, the base plate would hit the hyd. cylinder, so the motor would not seat properly. FIX-- I ground/filed about 1/8 inch off the base plate side, to gain clearance on the hyd. cylinder casting, allowing the t/t motor to seat properly. (I also took a flat file and made sure there were no burrs/high spots on the base plate mating surface; of course, make sure the o-ring is in place).

Hope this helps anyone w/ same problem.

2kidsandaboat

Recruit
Re: Honda BF50A-- tilt/trim motor replacement

Hi,
My motor seems to have given out, all I get is clicks when I hit the trim up or down. Mine is a 2003, what year is yours because I am thinking of ordering from DBE and not sure if what I see on EBay is what I need.
Thanks
Neal

letsgofish

Cadet
Re: Honda BF50A-- tilt/trim motor replacement

Aloha everyone, both trim/tilt motors on my honda bf45a motors have completely rusted thru the housing to where i can see he copper wire inside i just bought this boat and was told they could be replaced for just a few hundred each. then i actually looked up the cost and got major price shock of $1100 each. not including removal and new installation. so my question is can just the motor be replaced without buying the entire unit ? and if so what is proper removal/ installation procedure. a step by step would be really helpful. i need to do this myself if possible, since i really cant afford to pay some one else or buy the entire unit. is there a manual anywhere that covers the procedure ? thanks to everyone who helps! its really really appreciated. also is it possible to use the boat with the motors in this condition or will i cause more damage to the rest of the unit or the motor itself. was worried about causing some type of short. thank you everyone for your kind help. !