Tohatsu M15D2 Lower Unit Replacement

jdahlum

Recruit
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on the forums and I have a couple questions. I just had a Tohatsu 15hp given to me but it's in need of some work. It's a 2000 model M15D2 and the lower unit is shot. It was dropped and damaged. I know parts are interchangeable on some of these motors and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a good lower unit. What other model lower units will work with this motor? Is it generally a good motor?

Also, the steering bracket was damaged and needs to be replaced and once again do any other models work with this one? Can I get these parts from a different motor and make them work? The rest of the motor is perfect and runs like a top!! Thanks so much everyone!!

Jamie

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M15D2 Lower Unit Replacement

9.9, 12, 15 and 18 are the same on the lower unit. Go to internetoutboards.com, look at the online parts book for the 15D2 and then look at the other models in those sizes for the same part number. There was a bracket change somewhere in there so that part is not universal for all of the sizes.

jdahlum

Recruit

Thanks for the reply!! I was able to get prices on everything I need EXCEPT the lower unit assembly. I called iBoats and they say the part number is Obsolete which means it's not being made anymore. I suspect I can give them a part number from a newer 15Hp and it would be the same lower unit but I have no idea how to tell which one will work. Any advice? Is my lower unit the same as a 2012 or any other year that might still be produced. Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I do this right!!

pvanv

Admiral

If you have a Short motor and want the entire LU, it would be 398S873011 LOWER UNIT ***'Y S $849.49 MSRP.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You need a complete lower unit or just gear case and make a parts swap from damaged B2 lower unit ? The new 9.9D2/15D2/18E2 lower gear case part is : 398S600000M

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Thanks for the reply!! I was able to get prices on everything I need EXCEPT the lower unit assembly. I called iBoats and they say the part number is Obsolete which means it's not being made anymore. I suspect I can give them a part number from a newer 15Hp and it would be the same lower unit but I have no idea how to tell which one will work. Any advice? Is my lower unit the same as a 2012 or any other year that might still be produced. Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I do this right!!

It's available as Paul indicated and you can get it from any Nissan or Tohatsu dealer. Iboats is not a dealer so they do not have OEM parts.