Honda BF75 LA Water in Oil

geek_tk

Recruit
Hi - I just bought a used sailboat that came with a Honda BF75 4 stroke outboard. Here's some pics.

Before I bought the boat, I had the owner take me out on it to make sure it was all seaworthy, and the boat and sails are in great shape so no issues there. The motor started right up, and we used it on and off all day on test drive day. I used it subsequently and all was well, started right up, idled fine, no oil coming out of pee hole etc.

As I was putting everything away tonight, I thought "man I should check the oil" and lo and behold, the oil is like melted coffee ice cream. I suspect there is an issue with the head gasket...I drained the oil, and watched water droplets come out with it, increasing in quantity at the bottom.

So, has anyone changed the head gasket on one of these? Can you get a service manual for them? Is it easy to do, or should I find a marine mechanic? I am a fairly confident shade tree mechanic, and I've done top-end rebuilds on 2 stroke golf carts etc. before. Seems easy but....I don't want to open a can of worms with a 30 year old motor if I can't get parts.

Would this one work?

What about these service kits?

Here are some photos.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice/suggestions.