nissan 6 hp 4 stroke smoke and oil discharge

jim h k

Recruit
i have 20 hours on this 09 model year. this time after putting it in the fresh water flushing tank and upon starting there was quite a bit of blue smoke for just a moment and then none. then noticed an oily film and tan colored globules about size of a dime floating on surface water of tank. the motor ran fine for the 5 minutes in tank. after stopping i took sample from tank surface and it was greasy and grey in color. the motor oil showed the usual reddish-gold color so i am thinking that this grey oil may be from the lower unit. after a day inspected the motor and leg and there was no sign of leakage. Also concerned about a relationship to the one time blue smoke. the motor had been laying previously on side but done so by the manufacturers recomendation. also, run in salt water previously. Ideas?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: nissan 6 hp 4 stroke smoke and oil discharge

It's likely that the engine was turned or tilted, for a second, in the wrong direction. Don't sweat it.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: nissan 6 hp 4 stroke smoke and oil discharge

Yep. Prolly a little crankcase oil made its way into the combustion chamber, or out the crankcase vent hose.