Tohatsu 9.8 steering friction conversion

jgust777

Cadet
Hi,
New to the form and also have a new 2011 9.8 tohatsu. Was wondering if anyone has converted there Tohatsu from the friction screw adjustment to the front mounted sliding lever or if it was even possible to do. Getting tired of hanging over the back of the boat to adjust it all the time.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 9.8 steering friction conversion

The co-pilot steering friction system was by far one of the coolest features of the MFS9.8A3. Alas, many owners didn't understand that it was intended as a steering friction mechanism -- NOT a steering lock, and they abused the mechanism, then complained that it had failed. As a result, Tohatsu has dropped that feature, in favor of the common "friction bolt" style of adjuster. They have also released a kit that is a straight-ahead steering lock mechanism (completely disabling any steering), which mounts in place of the co-pilot friction mechanism, and works well on sail boat applications.

Drop me an email: paul@obersheimersails.com, or call me at 716-877-8221 M-F 9-7 Eastern, and I can help you with the parts you need. I'll need your precise model and serial. There are a number of small parts: a stud that fits into the top of the steering bracket casting, a pair of friction washers, the sliding friction plate, and a nylock nut that retains the lever, plus a few small bolts and washers that hold it all together.