Tohatsu 3.5A Carb

ellie2

Cadet
Re: Tohatsu 3.5A Carb

Mine is a 4 stroke 3.5A and yes it is an old horse but running beautifully now

I got the carburetor here: http://www.**********/parts/detail/nissan/N-3BR-03200-0.html

I bought the carb kit from a local parts store, one of those little places that seem to have everything (dusty) in no particular order but that only the owner knows where to find. But there are also kits on ebay and apparently from the person who posted above :) Carburetor Kit 3AB 87122 0 Nissan Tohatsu | eBay

Yessiree, it saved this girls summer!

If it's a 3.5A model, it's an old horse, there must be some spare parts left overs while stock lasts. Plenty for same 3.5A2-B2 which are the last updated verions of the A model. Complete kits or spare parts are available too. Lucky for Ellie 2, to find a new carb for an older model, has saved her summer.

Happy Boating

JStrom

Seaman Apprentice

Mine is a 4 stroke 3.5A and yes it is an old horse but running beautifully now

I got the carburetor here: http://www.**********/parts/detail/nissan/N-3BR-03200-0.html

I bought the carb kit from a local parts store, one of those little places that seem to have everything (dusty) in no particular order but that only the owner knows where to find. But there are also kits on ebay and apparently from the person who posted above :) Carburetor Kit 3AB 87122 0 Nissan Tohatsu | eBay

Yessiree, it saved this girls summer!

I'm not sure of the address you linked since it shows up as 10 *'s (http://www.**********/parts/detail/n...R-03200-0.html). I disassembled the gas tank and carb today, cleaned everything up as best I could with gas in a pot, some rags and tools before reassembling everything. I had a bunch of gunk in the gas tank so I eventually gave up and put a hose-pipe to it to flush everything out. I have a fan on it now trying to get 100% of the water out before putting gas in it and reattaching it to the motor. The float housing had a ton of what looked like beach sand in it. ??? No idea if it really was sand or not, but I cleaned it out pretty well along with everything else that I could get to. I didn't replace any gaskets and that may come back to haunt me. Still, it was sort of fun taking it all apart, cleaning and reassembling. It was the first time I've ever done anything like that. I'll try to install a new spark plug, reassemble the gas tank and put the gas/oil mix in and see how things work. Hopefully, I'll beat all odds and it'll start right up (hmmmm...we'll see?).

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That sand beach or coconut sand is Ethanol fuel badly filtered at plant or service station with clogged pump filters which bypasses unfiltered fuel to buyers. Mesh filter will bypass those small particles direct to carb or fuel pump too.

Sometimes it's better to install paper filters and change them along a good tank clean priodically to maintain complete fuel system impecable clean and in great working order. The sand could be produced too when engine is left with bowl fuel filled resting for months or very long time periods.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• E-8 Clog-1.JPG
    E-8 Clog-1.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 0

ellie2

Cadet

oh and jstorm....those links are for a 4 stroke. sounds like you have a 2 stroke (if you are using oil/gas mix). but you can find almost anything on that site. i have had great luck ordering from them, just don't bother with paying for expedited shipping cos it never happens. They take a while to locate the part and then have it shipped to you. Be patient, took a week and a half to get my carb but it was perfect and the only place I could find it

JStrom

Seaman Apprentice

I cleaned the carb as well as I could and put a new spark plug in, cleaned the gook out of the gas tank (nasty) all to no good end...no start, but a great 15 minute workout. I let it sit for about 2 weeks and the sun was out today when the power to the house went out, so I figured I might as well pull the engine out again. This time, I pulled the carb out, disassembled it and cleaned it with a cheap can of carb cleaner from Walmart. I put it back together but noticed that there was no gas in the float bowl when I took it apart. So I opened the fuel valve to run some through the supply line to the carb and not a drop. I had to actually break the back of the valve off to get inside of it (unscrewed the nut/spring until the plastic stop (?) broke off and I could get the nut off. I disassembled the valve and viola, the bladder (?) inside was at least partially torn and it was obvious why no fuel could get through. I took some needle nosed pliers to the area that had the tiniest of tiny holes in it, where the rubber had been torn off and made the hole larger, cleaned it up and reassembled. when I had the carb back on and the fuel line reattached, I tried restarting the motor. It started on the second pull. The kill switch worked to my surprise too. I tried restarting and it started on the first pull this time. First time ever doing anything like this and I'm pleased, with myself a little, but mostly that I went through the efforts. I'm going to replace that valve if I can find one on the site previously linked. Thanks to all for the input.