honda BF20 2hp 80's model - impeller water output question

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought this engine for $180 with no carburetor and no idea if it would run or not. I got a new carburetor and now it starts on the first pull every time, which is fantastic cause I was taking a risk.

My question is, there is very little water coming out of the pee hole when it's running, it spits a little, but not much and not all the time, is that normal for being in a bucket?

I have replaced the impeller, and added new seals for the gear case. When I pulled it from the bucket, quite a bit of water drained out, but I don't know if that means anything.

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: honda BF20 2hp 80's model - impeller water output question

Anyone???

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

i suppose there could be a blockage somewhere in the water jacket. you put the impeller in the correct way right? and with the key? just my 2 cents!

Nathan

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

i suppose there could be a blockage somewhere in the water jacket. you put the impeller in the correct way right? and with the key? just my 2 cents!

Nathan

It was my first time installing an impeller, but I think I did it right. The "key" you are referring to, is that the metal plate that sits on top, or the little slot the impeller notches into to make it turn? Any idea how to check for blockage?

Thanks!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Key is small half moon metal piece that notches impeller against shaft so to turn and pump water upwards , it's normall to see some water exiting when removing leg from bucket.

Impeller rotates CW, have you assembled housing that way ? Being a 32 year oldie probably all water paths are bit clogged, squirt an overdose of W40 with canula up pee hole, let soak, run a wire, thin tie wrap upwards, or compressed air, turn engine on and check. You should have a steady amount of peeing water...

If with use clog doesn't better, remove all water lids, including head gasket, scrape well all internal water paths, place new gasket, torque well, should pee better than a teenager.

Happy Boating

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Key is small half moon metal piece that notches impeller against shaft so tu turn and pump water upwards , it's normall to see some water exiting when removing leg from bucket.

Impeller rotates CW, have you assembled housing that way ? Being a 32 year oldie probably all water paths are bit clogged, squirt an overdose of W40 with canula up pee hole, let soak, run a wire, thin tie wrap upwards, or compressed air, turn engine on and check. You should have a steady amount of peeing water...

If with use clog doesn't better, remove all water lids, including head gasket, scrape well all internal water paths, place new gasket, torque well, should pee better than a teenager.

Happy Boating

Thank you, that helps a ton, I'll try that out this afternoon.

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I think I got it figured out. It took me a while to realize, but I seem to be missing part #7. Without that grommet there was no seal, so no water getting up there. I also removed the drive shaft from the motor and found another seal that is bad, so I'll get one of those too. I don't know what I'd do without boats dot net for parts.

bf20.JPG