Honda BF9.9 RPM's hunt whil trolling

Mr. Cool

Recruit
Hi folks, first post so go easy on me! I've poured through any thread that seemed possibly relevant with no luck maybe someone has an idea. My problem is the new to me engine won't hold a steady RPM when I'm trying to troll, it will slowly creep up or down I can correct it with throttle input and it will hold for a while then start to hunt off in either direction. Say I'm trying to hold 1400 rpm it will bugger off to 3000+ or drop right to nothing and eventually chug and stall, it never corrects itself.

It starts well when cold on the enrichner and kicks down as it should when warm, but once warm and trolling if I don't catch it on one of it's downward trends and correct it with the throttle it won't restart without adding some fast idle input.The little exhaust port on the back of the midsection has some pretty good black staining below it, and sometimes the exhaust smells rich but not always. Ocasionally it will stall when I pull it back to neutral too.

It's pretty random, it may hold steady for an hour, or it may hunt every five minutes it's geeting annoying. I've done all the obvious stuff serviced the carb, fresh plugs, fuel filter, changed the engine oil as one tech said he's seen fumes from the crankcase vent system cause this problem before but it persists.

The exhaust staining and smell tell me it's a carb/fuel problem but it has remote controls too so could it be a mechanical problem with my linkage in the control box or a sloppy cable? How do I confirm everything is on the up and up in that system? Is there a way to test/bypass the enrichner, do they fail often? That's kind of an expensive part to just throw at it. Any other thoughts?

TIA, John