Honda 7.5 water pump help

boatytoom

Cadet
Hey guys. Just picked up another boat today. The boat is an old 14' Alumacraft and its got a nce little Honda 1985ish??? 7.5 motor on it. I was told it sat for about 3 years but the guy took it out last weekend and it ran great. I bought it today and took it out and it did infact run very nicely but its not pumping water. Atleast not in nuetral and I tried to inspect while driving the boat but couldnt see anything. Ive got it stripped down right now and the water pump impellor looks like new, gaskets are good, no cracks in housing, and yes the little key thing is in place to turn the impellor. I can blow water thru the whole lower section when apart and the water tube is clear as well. My question is this. Where the water tube hooks up to the motor, I cant get water thru that. Will it hrt anything if I use some compressed air and blow direclty into the underneath of the motor where the tube goes in??? I have it circled in red in my picture where I cant get water thru. Im just using 1 of those little steam machines that has a wand on it. It has fair pressure but I cant get the steam to come out anywhere. I dont know whats goin on. From the looks of this motor it really hasnt had much use. I ran it for about 20 minutes tonight in 70 degree weather. It ran fine. I hope I didnt hurt it any. I didnt know until the end of my 20 minutes that it wasnt pumping water. Please help ASAP so I can remember how it goes back together and can hopefully use it this Memorial weekend. Any help is much appreciated. I just didnt know if using some high compressed air directly into the motor would cause any harm. 1 thing I did notice is that on the impellor, the blades were going in both directions. some were pushed clowise and some were pushed counter clockwise. That didnt make sense either. Which way should they face when looking down at it in place? But that doesnt solve why I cant get water through the motor.

hondamotor001.jpg

hondamotor002.jpg

hondamotor005.jpg

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Honda 7.5 water pump help

Install a new impeller. As you engage the wp housing, gently turn the driveshaft in the normal direction (as if the motor were running), and the vanes will land in the correct direction. If your old impeller has vanes every-which-way, they are probably a little hard, and not pumping as they should.

boatytoom

Cadet

UPDATE...
This morning I found the clog. I backflushed the powerhead by spraying water directly into the powerhead and it took it a second but then it finally came running out the exhaust port. I did this for a few minutes going both directions. Everything else is clog free now. I reinspected the impellor and when I installed it this time, I rotated the driveshaft by hand according to the direction the motor spins and then I took the cover back off and all the fins are going the same direction so that part is also fixed. I filled up my barrel well above cavitation but I dont have any muffs. When I run the motor it just kinda lightly spits out water. I would think it would come out faster, or wont it without having muffs on there? And if thats the case, whats the difference from in the barrel to out on the water? I mean you dont use muffs on the water so whats the reason I must have them in a barrel?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

My BF8A looks exactly like yorus, and when running a steady stream comes out the telltale - it is more than spitting. I run mine in a garbage can, water level about 3 or 4 inches above the cav plate. I don't use muffs and would think it (well, the special hose adapter you can get from Honda) is only needed if you can't submerge the leg totally.

pvanv

Admiral

UPDATE...
This morning I found the clog. I backflushed the powerhead by spraying water directly into the powerhead and it took it a second but then it finally came running out the exhaust port. I did this for a few minutes going both directions. Everything else is clog free now. I reinspected the impellor and when I installed it this time, I rotated the driveshaft by hand according to the direction the motor spins and then I took the cover back off and all the fins are going the same direction so that part is also fixed. I filled up my barrel well above cavitation but I dont have any muffs. When I run the motor it just kinda lightly spits out water. I would think it would come out faster, or wont it without having muffs on there? And if thats the case, whats the difference from in the barrel to out on the water? I mean you dont use muffs on the water so whats the reason I must have them in a barrel?

Install a new impeller. Especially since your driveshaft was turned backwards (that's how the vanes get flipped), probably when the pump was dry, putting wear on the vanes.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Install a new impeller. Especially since your driveshaft was turned backwards (that's how the vanes get flipped), probably when the pump was dry, putting wear on the vanes.

X2 and for the record, you use EITHER muffs OR put it in a barrel, never both at the same time............

for my 15HP and my 9.8 i use muffs, for the 6HP motors , i use a barrel..................

I have an '83 model 7.5 HP outboard like yours. Mine just started not streaming. Impeller is ok. My top pump housing has what looks like a weep hole above the metal housing. When I pour water in the outlet it fills the area above the metal housing where the drive shaft is. You might check that out. I am looking for someone that can tell me if that hole is supposed to be there. If you look inside the big hole in the attached picture you can see light coming through the small hole.
waterpump.jpg
David B
Lubbock, TX