2012 Tohatsu 15hp Starts in gear only has 1/2 throttle

Recently purchased a new 15hp Tohatsu from Outboards on Line in TN. It is an electric start and it starts in any gear and from 1/2 throttle to full throttle the rpms change very little if any at all. My closest Tohatsu dealer is 75 miles away. Any suggestions on adjustments I can do?

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2012 Tohatsu 15hp Starts in gear only has 1/2 throttle

starting in any gear, sounds like the the adjustments are off................the rpm issue makes me think since you are under warranty, to go to a dealer and do the adjustments and check it out..................

i will wait for the Guru's to give better advice, that would be Paul and Elvin

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Is that an electric start engine with remote control box ? If so, seems gear shift and throttle cables out of adjsustments when locking into shift and throttle respectively once connected to engine.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

What is your precise model/serial? The electric start motors have two safeties: recoil and electric. There is a neutral safety switch, as well as the mechanical pawl that prevents pulling the start handle. If both are not engaging (you can pull start or electric start in any gear), your shift linkage may be out of adjustment or disconnected. Likewise, if the throttle does not increase RPM above 1/2, the throttle cable may be maladjusted or disconnected.

If you prefer to check these things without a dealer's assistance, start by getting the Factory service manual (available from any dealer -- including me), and use it as a guide in checking/setting the linkages.

Thanks to all who responded. Contacted the dealer today and will be taking it to them for a lake test. Paul the service manuel idea is interesting as I am a auto mechanic. How do I purchase one?

pvanv

Admiral

Thanks to all who responded. Contacted the dealer today and will be taking it to them for a lake test. Paul the service manuel idea is interesting as I am a auto mechanic. How do I purchase one?

You can drop me an email at the office: paul@obersheimersails.com, or call 716-877-7221 M-F 9-7 Eastern, and we can send you one.