Tohatsu M40C Starter - trying to locate aftermarket

1adamhunt

Recruit
Hi all - recently purchased a second hand 2007 M40C Tohatsu tiller steer here in Australia. Problems started straight away with the recoil starter disintegrating twice and having to be rebuilt twice at great expense. It still doesn't pull reliably and constantly makes a tinging noise at revs. Mechanic is trying to tell me that its not there problem etc, and shimmed up the whole top of the motor to try to align it.

I have decided to bite the bullet and go for a full starter set up to stop this continuing problem. Issue is, here in Australia, a starter kit is over $1000 dollars, a third of the value of the motor. I can easily import a starter for only $150 delivered from the US, but they only fit up until the 2006 models.

DOES anyone know why this is? Why are there no 2007 onwards aftermarket starters????

PLEASE HELP as I need to go fishing urgently lol

Adam

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M40C Starter - trying to locate aftermarket

You need a better mechanic. There isn't any magic to bolting on the recoil starter! I may even have a new (NOS) complete unit on the shelf, which might help you. I'll check once I trudge back into the office this AM (US Eastern time)... have to drop by a couple of boat yards to check on a few customers on the way in... As for years of manufacture... there is no such thing in Tohatsu/Nissan land. Everything for servicing goes by precise model/serial. But... the US EPA forced model changes, moving from the (excellent) M40C to the D, and finally the TLDI models. So there is no such thing as a "post 2006 US M40C". That may be your catalog conundrum. The complete kit is still available: 361763000M ELECTRIC START KIT (F) at a retail price of US$709.50. The Factory starter motor itself is also available: 346760100M STARTER MOTOR US$354.78, but you would want the mounting bracket, etc, so the kit is well worth the difference. Aftermarket starters tend to be junky, and often don't hold up well.