What is the difference between a 18hp Nissan 2 stroke short shaft 18e and 18e2?

77buzzer

Cadet
What is the difference between a 18hp Nissan 2 stroke short shaft 18e and 18e2? Are there lots of parts available for both models? I'm looking at a 1992 or 1993(can't remember) Nissan 18hp 2s ss ( blue with silver cover)tomorrow and I don't want to buy it if parts are not available and/or they have lots of problems etc. Where can I find the serial or model numbers and the 18e or 18e2 decal. I will be using the outboard on a light weight 14' aluminum for lake fishing and also dropping off crab nets in the ocean. Is a 18hp Nissan okay in salt water. Any help would be great. Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: What is the difference between a 18hp Nissan 2 stroke short shaft 18e and 18e2?

Not sure of the precise differences between an E and an E2, but it would be super-minor, and parts would interchange between the two. Both water pump and carb kits are still available from Tohatsu America, so dealers can get the typical replacement parts for you. The serial decal should be near the transom clamp. A motor of that vintage (20 years) may be very corroded if used in salt, especially if not flushed regularly. Might be "like new" if run exclusively in fresh water. Yes, the 18E was fine in salt, but like any OB, needed to be flushed at the end of the run.

Regardless, as long as it is in good condition now, it will be serviceable for several years.