mercury tohatsu 30hp two stroke hard to start when cold

kinger2111

Cadet
Hi guys
i have a 2006 mercury/tohatsu 30hp two stroke. i have a problem when starting from cold, air tempertures rarely lower than 10c , so not cold climate. its fine when it has been started once and will start straight away, and performs really well under all loads . but when cold it is a pig to start and may require 4 or 5 good long turns of the starter before she starts. i follow the owners manual starting procedure so not sure. would appreciate any help
thanks
kinger

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury tohatsu 30hp two stroke hard to start when cold

Welcome to the Forums...

These 25/30 models are sometimes sensible to temperature, check this temp info. Check with yours and match any of the 3 starting procedures...

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Starting Procedures.JPG
    Starting Procedures.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 3

kinger2111

Cadet

Welcome to the Forums...

These 25/30 models are sometimes sensible to temperature, check this temp info. Check with yours and match any of the 3 starting procedures...

Happy Boating

HI those are the instructions for the tiller model. mine has remote controls, but i have the owners manual and have followed those instructions to the letter.but still no joy

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Is the air butterfly solenoid working properly when pushing/releasing key button, or the plunger gets stuck inside solenoid ? Is your battery well charged ?

Happy Boating

kinger2111

Cadet

hi thanks sea rider will try that, its got to be to do with the choke as it runs and starts pefectly , after initial starting. when the wind stops howling and the rain stops pouring down will have a look
regards
kinger2111

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

this may sound crazy to some but have ben at the ramp watching boaters crank their motor . they would push and releas the chock several times and then try to start the motor insted of holding it in while turning the key.not being crazy just don`t understand .be sure the butterflys are closed compleatley .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

this may sound crazy to some but have ben at the ramp watching boaters crank their motor . they would push and releas the chock several times and then try to start the motor insted of holding it in while turning the key.not being crazy just don`t understand .be sure the butterflys are closed compleatley .

Will entirely agree on that, people turns sometimes cracy cranking engines; Prime engine, move throttle a bit forward, push key in and without releasing proceed to turn key to start. Repeat if needed. If engine cools down fast after boating for some time, move throttle a bit forward and start, if doesn't start at first or second intent will need to perform complete cold start sequence again. Both works fine for me.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The design is not "cold natured" in any way shape or form so the problem is due to some specific cause. It could be as simple as tiny air leak in a fuel coupler or be complex with more than one thing being wrong at the same time. I would suggest taking it into a dealer and leting them determine the problem and correct it. Or, pick up a service manual, pick one of the engine's three main systems and start troubleshooting...Chances are you have a fuel system issue so that's where most mechanics would focus their attention.

kinger2111

Cadet

Hi guys
have found the problem it was the choke solenoid sticking so not closing the butterfly. pulled the manual choke and it started first time. so have freed up the solenoid and its working prfectly now.
thanks guys for your help
rgards
kinger2111

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Check plunger clean/dirt condition. In most cases plunger sticks inside solenoid due to solenoid's bracket misalignment at base, check/correct misalignment, if ok, there are 2 small screws that holds solenoid to upper base, will need to play/adjust them properly untill plunger works freely back and forth with finger.

Happy Boating