Honda 50 4 stroke - been in storage, want to bring it backl to life

woody9768

Recruit
So a friend of mine had a Honda 50 4 srtokeoutboard motor. He recently passed away and the family wants me to have it. It's been wrapped up and siting for a couple years now, and no one has any idea if it was winterized or fogged at any point.

So, I was wondering if I can get some advice on the steps to take to 1. determine if this motor is in working condition, and 2. any advice on a course of actio to get this engine back to life.

I have tools and im mechanically inclined, I can rip down a v8 in no time, but havent had a great deal of experience with boat motors.

I have tools and after cleaning the exterior of the motor, I cwas going to pop the hood andto a visual examination, to see if any parts are worn or wires damaged. I figured I would check the oil levl and remove the spark plugs, and lookinto the chambre. Before I turn the motor over, I wanted to change the fluids and put some oil in the cylanders 1st, slowly cycle the motorand get everyhting covered in oil.

Any additiponal advice would be welcome, as well as any + or - experiences with Honda 50 motors, kind of what to look out for ect ect.

Thanks!

dtj

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Honda 50 4 stroke - been in storage, want to bring it backl to life

Get the factory shop manual and follow the out of storage procedures................Don

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda 50 4 stroke - been in storage, want to bring it backl to life

As you don't know if previous owner winterized that engine or not, could begin by removing plugs and crank engine's flywheel CW with hand to see if it's seized, if it's ok, change oil and filter, lower unit oil, clean or replace plugs, check impeller condition, with fresh fuel start engine and check performance.

If engine does not run smooth and even probably will need a good carb clean along valve lash adjustments. Check battery condition and bat cables if happen to be an electric start, and above all get a service manual.

Happy Boating