50 hp honda shift problem

huckelberry

Seaman
I have a 1997 50 hp honda four stroke that I bought used about a month ago. I am wanting to know what is the procedure for adjusting the shift rod linkage. When I got the boat, the linkage was barely threaded together where they connect at the lower unit. The other day, they fell apart and I put them back together yesterday before my fishing trip. While I was out, I had to shake the shifter to get it to crank and the gears would "click a little in neutral. I went to adjust it today and I can find true neutral where the gears will not "click" and I can bump the starter without shaking the shifter. When I put it in reverse, not running and spinning the prop by hand, the prop is locked in both directions, but in forward, it locks in one direction and clicks in another. I don't know enough about these outboards to know if it is the clutch dogs slipping or if there is another type of shift mechanism. I just hope I didn't tear up the lower unit yesterday with this thing misadjusted.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 50 hp honda shift problem

Sounds like you probably have it down.Since forward is your primary gear it is designed to rachet against the clutchdog very breifly before engageing.While sitting static this gearcase will ratchet clockwise but be in gear counterclockwise in fwd,rvs is another story.As long as you have found neutral and shifting well and little metal flake in the gearoil you should be good.