Overheat Sensor - Honda BF 130A

Graphiterod

Cadet
I was commissioning my boat and engine. Everything went well until I tried to start the engine to burn off the fogging oil.

Before turning the ignition switch I replaced the t-stat and and t-stat gasket. Everything checked out.

I reviewed the Indicator Light/Buzzer Operation grid. At the start the oil pressure light is green and stays on, the Overheat Sensor light is red and on for 2 seconds, the Alternator light is red and stays on, the MIL light is red and stays on for 2 seconds. The warning buzzer sounds twice.

There is no spark as the the engine doesn't turn over.

I checked the overheat sensor. The connection was good and clean. The sensor was covered with a soft silvery light paste. There wasn't a lot, and it wasn't clogging the water flow.

I tried starting the engine a couple of times. The same result each time. After the warning buzzer I could hear what sounded like a pump pushing water. I couldn't get close enough to engine to hear where was coming from.

I removed the Flush Valve, and everything checked out.

I checked each spark plug, and everything was fine.

Do I need to replace the overheat sensor? The ECM?

I neglected to check the fuses. With all four lights working, and the buzzer sounding I don't think its a fuse.

The engine manufacture date is 1998, and has never given me any serious problems.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Overheat Sensor - Honda BF 130A

You are going to monitor the high pressure fuel pump level. It should be around 40 psi and will require some not reddily available tools.Given the age of this unit I would dive in after the hp fuel filter as they are often neglected.

Graphiterod

Cadet

You are going to monitor the high pressure fuel pump level. It should be around 40 psi and will require some not reddily available tools.Given the age of this unit I would dive in after the hp fuel filter as they are often neglected.

Thanks. I replace the high speed fuel filter every year.

Will lake of fuel pressure generate the warning light reading I describe above?

multimech

Petty Officer 1st Class

The engine not turning over is pretty important. :) Check your battery and the connections. Ensure engine plug is connected. It sounds as if it is because you hear the pump, which I believe is the fuel pump, provided this is a fuel injected engine.

If it still does nothing (no turn over) when the key is turned to the start position, then follow the lead from the starter to the solenoid and jump the small wire from the solenoid to the hot lead on the solenoid. No turn over? Then jump the solenoid with a screw driver. Directly from the hot lead to the lead that goes to the starter. No turn over? Check the grounds on the engine. You can also do a load check on the hot side of the solenoid. It should stay steady for the size battery you have. If starter still does not turn it is most likely the starter is bad.