2009 Nissan 4 stroke 15hp prop shaft housing assembly question

Dip Fortuna

Recruit
Well, I decided to put a hydrofoil on my brand new Nissan (4stroke,15hp). To drill the holes, I had to remove the prop. I didn't notice the prop washer fall in to the grass. So, when I tested the motor in a local lake, the prop got all chewed up from hitting the bolt heads on the housing. Long story short, I bought a new prop and housing assembly, which includes one set of bearings and one o-ring. My question: How should I proceed? I assume I should drain the gear oil first. Do I need to apply any sealer on anything? I haven't worked on anything newer than 1972 before and I can't afford to make any more mistakes with this one. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dip Fortuna

Recruit
Re: 2009 Nissan 4 stroke 15hp prop shaft housing assembly question

DSCF5367.JPGDSCF5368.JPG

You can see from these pics what I'm working with.

By the way, when I put the prop thrust washer back on and took it for a spin, the motor would wind out at higher speed. I hope the new prop and housing will make it good as new again.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

not exactly sure, but if you get the service manual, it will tell you everything, plus they are good to have, just because :)

waiting for paul to chime in, he would have the number, plus he has them and can ship it to you :)

Dip Fortuna

Recruit

I was kind of hoping someone might have the manual and just let me know what's involved with replacing the prop shaft housing.

pvanv

Admiral

Assuming you have an NS15C, you would want to get the Factory service manual, Part# 003N210620, $40.00, available from any dealer, including me. It's a wise investment, unless you will be taking the motor to the dealer for everything. The housing assembly should include the prop shaft seal, needle bearing, ball bearing, and o-ring. You may also need a pair of 6mm bolts with washers. Swapping-in the prop shaft is not too difficult, but a picture will help:

002-21054-1_FIG14.JPG

No sealer is used for anything; the seal and o-ring handle that. Yes, I would probably drain the LU first, else you will get a couple of cups of 90-weight in your lap when you pull the housing.

Last edited:

Dip Fortuna

Recruit

Thanks Paul. My motor is a NS15C. I probably will get the manual at some point. Money is tight for me up here right now in Michigan and I've already assured my wife that the $120 I just spent on parts should be enough to fix it. Thanks for the info. I assumed that o-ring was all that was needed, but wanted to be sure. Thank you very much!