Honda 2004 BF8A won't idle correctly

rsabola

Cadet
I have a 2004 Honda BF8A that will not idle correctly. The motor starts second pull every time with the choke out and the throttle set to start. Upon pushing the choke in, the motor revs up really high, thus I try to adjust the throttle to shift position but it just dies out every time, it won't idle in neutral. I was able to get the motor in gear after playing with it for a long while and run it for a while. After running, the motor would start right up and idle perfectly in neutral or in gear. I don't want to damage the gear case so how do I fix the motor to make it idle correctly in neutral upon first start? Please let me know your thoughts. I don't know how to take a carb apart and clean it, is there anything else I can do?

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 2004 BF8A won't idle correctly

I have an 8HP Honda that is probably about 3 to 4 yrs older. I had a similar problem that was caused by a clogged low speed jet. There was one difference that isn't easy to explain though - mine was hard to start and would not idle well, if at all, but this persisted even after it was warm. It tended to stall at idle whether in neutral or in gear, and I had to throttle up to even be able to shift, which obviously wasn't too good for the gears.

My carb has a low speed (idle) jet that is accessible from the carb without removing or disassembling it. It is on the top, on the side of the carb toward the outside of the engine (on mine, that would be the left side). It looks more or less like the top of a bolt, with a slotted head. It is easy to unscrew and remove (just don't drop in the drink!). Once out, it has a thin tube (hole) up the center and one or two, I can't recall, across its diameter. Clean it out with something soft, like a very thin plastic "string". I use a floss threader, if you know what that is - drugstores sell them. I have been told not to use any wire, even a thin copper strand, to avoid scratching the inside of that orifice. Also use some sort of solvent like spray carb cleaner. That may do the trick. When you screw it back in, there is no adjustment - it just goes in until seated, just don't tighten so much you kill the threads.

If not, I am no mechanic, though somewhat handy, and I disassembled my carb and cleaned it and put in new gaskets. It isn't that hard, though I'd invest the 30 bucks or so in a factory manual from Honda. This site may sell them, if not, you can find others online (or if you are lucky enough to be near a dealer, go there).

frankhjr

Recruit

I have an 8HP Honda that is probably about 3 to 4 yrs older. I had a similar problem that was caused by a clogged low speed jet. There was one difference that isn't easy to explain though - mine was hard to start and would not idle well, if at all, but this persisted even after it was warm. It tended to stall at idle whether in neutral or in gear, and I had to throttle up to even be able to shift, which obviously wasn't too good for the gears.

My carb has a low speed (idle) jet that is accessible from the carb without removing or disassembling it. It is on the top, on the side of the carb toward the outside of the engine (on mine, that would be the left side). It looks more or less like the top of a bolt, with a slotted head. It is easy to unscrew and remove (just don't drop in the drink!). Once out, it has a thin tube (hole) up the center and one or two, I can't recall, across its diameter. Clean it out with something soft, like a very thin plastic "string". I use a floss threader, if you know what that is - drugstores sell them. I have been told not to use any wire, even a thin copper strand, to avoid scratching the inside of that orifice. Also use some sort of solvent like spray carb cleaner. That may do the trick. When you screw it back in, there is no adjustment - it just goes in until seated, just don't tighten so much you kill the threads.

If not, I am no mechanic, though somewhat handy, and I disassembled my carb and cleaned it and put in new gaskets. It isn't that hard, though I'd invest the 30 bucks or so in a factory manual from Honda. This site may sell them, if not, you can find others online (or if you are lucky enough to be near a dealer, go there).

I have a '97 Honda 9.9 having the exact same issue - I'll be trying what you suggest today - after cutting the lawn.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let us know if that, or something else, works. Good luck
Peter