1986 Tohatsu M40C no water out of tell tale

KCKguy

Cadet
I have read a ton of these forums and finally just decided to detail what I have done so far and see if anybody can help me pin point the problem.

I have replaced the water pump uper housing after finding a crack in the old one.
Replaced Impeller, guide plate and gaskets, rubber seal to the lower water pipe and the key.

When I hook up a hose to flush I can see water come out the tell tale. When I have the lower unit off I can see water coming out of the water pipe.

Any help on identifying the problem will super appreciated.

Thanks,

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Tohatsu M40C no water out of tell tale

Welcome to the forums,

Are you hooking a flush device on lower leg or at upper engine side water plug with engine on or off ? Prior engine on, you must tape both water strainers located at tail, to avoid pressure loss, thermostat needs to open to flush head interior passages properly. Other issues :

-You could have a blocked peeing hole, run a thin wire upwards several times with engine on.
-Water pipe has not aligned with rubber seal while reassembling tail.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

Probably don't have the water pipe aligned into the upper wp housing. OR, you might have the wrong impeller.

KCKguy

Cadet

Welcome to the forums,

Are you hooking a flush device on lower leg or at upper engine side water plug with engine on or off ? Prior engine on, you must tape both water strainers located at tail, to avoid pressure loss, thermostat needs to open to flush head interior passages. Other issues :

-You could have a blocked peeing hole, run a thin wire upwards several times with engine on.
-Water pipe has not aligned with rubber seal while reassembling tail.

Happy Boating

I have flushed the engine from the upper and lower points, but I have only done that with the engine off. I will try taping the water strainers and opening up the thermostat. I ran a piece of thin wire through the pee hole and it did seem a little clogged but that was with the enging off. I'll try it with the engine on as well.

Question, can the lower unit bolt up without the water pipe being aligned up correctly? I will pull the lower unit back off and make sure to watch that the water pipe aligns up correctly?

I'll let you know what happens

Thanks for your help

Randy

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Start running engine on, if peeing normalizes, needed just a engine on, if not, check water pipe aligment. Definitely tail will bolt up misaligned, this issue does happen.

Happy Boating

KCKguy

Cadet

Start running engine on, if peeing normalizes, needed just a engine on, if not, check water pipe aligment. Definitely tail will bolt up misaligned, this issue does happen.

Happy Boating

Thanks for the quick response. Something I forgot to mention, when I have the hose hooked up to flush the engine from the top flush point, I do get water to come out of the **** hole with the engine off. I just don't get anything when I start the engine with muffs on. Not sure if that means any thing but I am going to try your suggestions and hopefully i'll be back on the water.

Randy

pvanv

Admiral

Probably just need to block the lower water inlet as Luis mentioned...

KCKguy

Cadet

Well I did everything that you guys mentioned, still no water out of tell tale. I did take off the thermostat to see if I could see water coming out when I started the engine with muffs hooked up but I didn't see any water.

I am assuming that means I have a problem between the water pump and water line? I wonder if I am not getting a good seal somewhere. I also flushed the enging with the lower unit off and I could see water coming out of the water pipe pretty freely.

Thoughts?

Probably just need to block the lower water inlet as Luis mentioned...

pvanv

Admiral

What imnpeller did you use? Is there any scoring at all, however minor, in the wp cup?

KCKguy

Cadet

I went to our local marine store and that was about the only thing they carried for the tohatsu that I have, it matched up in apperance to the one that was in it, I think they used part # 345-65021-0 and went off of that. I am assuming the wp cup is the liner inside of the water pump, if that is the case, I ordered a new one and replaced the old one, so there is no scoring.

I bought two impellers when I replaced the old one, so I will go find the second one and replace and see if that makes a difference. I will also check and see if there is any signs of scoring.

Thanks again for the help

What imnpeller did you use? Is there any scoring at all, however minor, in the wp cup?

dtj

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I did everything that you guys mentioned, still no water out of tell tale. I did take off the thermostat to see if I could see water coming out when I started the engine with muffs hooked up but I didn't see any water.

I am assuming that means I have a problem between the water pump and water line? I wonder if I am not getting a good seal somewhere. I also flushed the enging with the lower unit off and I could see water coming out of the water pipe pretty freely.

Thoughts?

Work backwards, blow water or air from the pee tube outlet back into the outboard, find where the blockage or leak is by dis-assembling outboard components while water system is pressurised.......................Don

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

-Is impeller key correctly placed ?
-Have you rotated impeller shaft CW when reassembling pump case back ?
-Try squirting some W40 up pee hole, let soak, try blowing compresssed air...
-If impeller is pumping correctly, place lower leg inside a barrel, fill sufficient water along with 1-2 liter of vinegar, flush some minutes with engine on...
-If obstruction doesn't give up, being a 26 year oldie probably has a severe internal salt obstructions, remove cylinder head, check head and crankcase water passages conditions, anyway with head removed will be more friendly and easy to clean internal water passages in the eventuality they are blocked, place and torque a new head gasket...Good luck!!

Happy Boating

KCKguy

Cadet

-Is impeller key correctly placed ?
-Have you rotated impeller shaft CW when reassembling pump case back ?
-Try squirting some W40 up pee hole, let soak, try blowing compresssed air...
-If impeller is pumping correctly, place lower leg inside a barrel, fill sufficient water along with 1-2 liter of vinegar, flush some minutes with engine on...
-If obstruction doesn't give up, being a 26 year oldie probably has a severe internal salt obstructions, remove cylinder head, check head and crankcase water passages conditions, anyway with head removed will be more friendly and easy to clean internal water passages in the eventuality they are blocked, place and torque a new head gasket...Good luck!!

Happy Boating

Thanks for all of the input from everyone, I will start with the simpler things and work backwards first and if that doesn't resolve the issue I will pull the thing apart and replace what I can with new parts and if that doesn't do the job, it will become a 4th of July piece when I go get some C4.

Thanks again for everyone's input

Randy

pvanv

Admiral

You could always have a dealer look at it...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

it will become a 4th of July piece when I go get some C4.

Don't do that :D it's a excellent work horse. After trying out the simple things and still not working right, and if trouble shooting cranckcase deeper is not for you, will agree with Paul, take it to a dealer. Good luck!!

Happy Boating

KCKguy

Cadet

Don't do that :D it's a excellent work horse. After trying out the simple things and still not working right, and if trouble shooting cranckcase deeper is not for you, will agree with Paul, take it to a dealer. Good luck!!

Happy Boating

I won't use it for a 4th of july piece...lol. It might be a few days before I can report back and let you guys know what happens, working two jobs and trying to plan a wedding is taking a lot of my time. I did call a local marine mechanic and was pretty much told to go f myself because he only works on american motors. So I will be leaning on you guys for some advice probably.

Wish me luck...

Randy

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

talk to paul, or look on line at the tohatsu web site to find a local dealer. i wish i could give you more, but you already have excellent advice and do not know where you live???

P.S. Tohatsu makes motors for Nissan,Mercury and Johnson/Evinrude???
American what?????

Dave

AlleghenyAngler

Recruit

I'm having the same problem with my 86 m40c. I just bought it a couple weeks ago and it is my first boat. A friend and I replaced the impeller today but still can't get water out of the top.

pvanv

Admiral

I'm having the same problem with my 86 m40c. I just bought it a couple weeks ago and it is my first boat. A friend and I replaced the impeller today but still can't get water out of the top.

Did you do the whole wp kit, or just the impeller? Is there any scoring, however minor, in the cup or on the wear plate? Did you check the telltale for blockage?

AlleghenyAngler

Recruit

Did you do the whole wp kit, or just the impeller? Is there any scoring, however minor, in the cup or on the wear plate? Did you check the telltale for blockage?

No scoring anywhere. Everything looks good as far as we can see. I am not experienced at all with working on outboards. This is my first. When I ordered the impeller, I tried to order a thermostat as well but the dealer told me it didn't have one. It appears to have a housing for one. is the dealer wrong?