2008 Honda 150 Lower Unit Trouble

FishFindR007

Recruit
I can't get my screws out of my lower unit to drain/fill the oil. Its been serviced at the dealer once, now I'm trying to do it myself for the first time. I've tried everything from heat to a hand impact driver, can't get either of the two screws out...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2008 Honda 150 Lower Unit Trouble

Did the impact driver mess up the slot on the screw? Maybe drill into drain screw head and try an Easy-Out? Good Luck!

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2008 Honda 150 Lower Unit Trouble

For any LU of any brand... you need a BIG screwdriver. It must fit the slot exactly. No shortcuts here. The screws typically are pretty tight, and they need to be tight. In some cases, using a small wrench on the shaft of the screwdriver helps pop the screws loose. In order to apply enough heat to them for any effect, you would burn the paint off the LY, and probably damage the seals under the heads of the screws, so forget that approach.

If your efforts so far have mangled the screws, a good shop may be able to drill them out, or use a more professional version of impact driver to pop them free.