Tohatsu 50hp TLDI Starting problems.

Dan Sheard

Recruit
Hi people,
My name is Dan and I am new to this site, I have a 2006 model tohatsu tldi 50hp out board on my boat that has been giving me problems of late. It starts perfectly at the boat ramp and runs fine until I stop and fish for a bit, when I go to start it again it turns over but doesnt fire. I have had it to the local tohatsu dealer near home and after hundreds of dollars to "fix" the problem it is still happening. They also told me that the battery was the incorrect type for that motor, So I put a new battery in it (1000cca) but it is still doing it. Just wondering if anybody has this type of motor and have had this problem? Cheers Dan

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 50hp TLDI Starting problems.

Your dealer is correct. The TLDI motors do need the 1000 cca battery to ensure that the ECU initializes correctly, even with the voltage drop of cranking the starter.

What has the dealer done to the motor so far? When you are running well, and then shut off the motor, can you hear the sound of "crackling" from the vapor separator? How many hours are on the motor? Is this a Tiller model, or is it remote control? If remote, are there ever any unusual indicator lights on the tach?

Dan Sheard

Recruit

Hi Paul,
The dealer did something to the charging system and replaced a needle and seat type thing in the fuel system, I have not heard any crackling noise(not to say I have had a good listen), It is a centre console and there is never any lights on the tacho when the motor is running, When I was at the dealer I asked him to check the air and fuel pressures(all ok) and I asked if he could check for codes in the computer(He told me that checking the codes will tell him nothing). I have changed the fuel line/and bulb and tested a new fuel tank. I have also resolded and reseal the battery cables and check all the connections. The Problem has only started about 6 month ago and has been getting worst. Maybe I need to take it to another dealer. Thanks for the reply
Cheers Dan

pvanv

Admiral

Hmm. It would be worthwhile to check with the dealer again. If they are unwilling to help you, you may want to seek the advice of a different dealer. You can find the closest dealers at http://www.tohatsu.com/dealersearch/index.html

The ECU codes can tell a lot about what is going on with that motor; That's why it has the OB diags. So, a dealer that says they will tell him "nothing"... hmm...

Depending on your precise model/serial, there is an improved rectifier for the charging system, but that would not likely cause your symptoms, so I'm not sure what they might have done to the charging system. There is a float assembly in the vapor separator, and that does indeed have a "needle and seat" type of float valve, similar to the components of a carburetor, so maybe they were suspecting that they had a problem with the vapor separator -- which might well cause your symptoms. Just guessing here, as it seems you don't have full information about what was done to the motor. Maybe the dealer can give you some more information about what they diagnosed, and what repairs they did.

mnormand

Cadet

Mr. Paul..hope u see this...

I have a 2011 tiller 50 TLDI Tohatsu that I'm thrilled with. I've changed boats and it's even better.

The post above re 1000cca battery made me run out w flashlight to check mine...it's a deep cycle with 1000 MCA.
I'm in deep south Louisiana, not very cold. I see MCA is measured at 32deg.

I found this note on another forum..." A battery's MCA rating will be one-third higher than its CCA rating would be."

Should I upgrade my battery???

Thx!

pvanv

Admiral

Mr. Paul..hope u see this...

I have a 2011 tiller 50 TLDI Tohatsu that I'm thrilled with. I've changed boats and it's even better.

The post above re 1000cca battery made me run out w flashlight to check mine...it's a deep cycle with 1000 MCA.
I'm in deep south Louisiana, not very cold. I see MCA is measured at 32deg.

I found this note on another forum..." A battery's MCA rating will be one-third higher than its CCA rating would be."

Should I upgrade my battery???

Thx!

If you are that warm (it's in the 30's here today... brrr...), you are probably OK for now. As the battery ages, the performance will drop. Once that gets to the right point, the voltage drop (during cranking) may cause the ECU to partially reset during cranking, causing a lot of weird problems. If you can find another use for your present 1000 mca battery, and replace it with a 1000 cca unit, that would be ideal.

mnormand

Cadet

If you are that warm (it's in the 30's here today... brrr...), you are probably OK for now. As the battery ages, the performance will drop. Once that gets to the right point, the voltage drop (during cranking) may cause the ECU to partially reset during cranking, causing a lot of weird problems. If you can find another use for your present 1000 mca battery, and replace it with a 1000 cca unit, that would be ideal.

This was perfect timing, going return last weeks troll motor battery purchase for bigger cca and make the swap.

Glad I saw this!!
Thanks much Mr Paul !