Tachometer problems on 03 honda 200 hp outboard

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a cape craft with a 03 honda 200 hp outboard. The rpms gauge (tach) is acting wierd. with motor off the gauge is reading 1k or less constantly. with the key turned but not started the tach will move to 0rpms. then with motor on the rpm gauge will not go past 2k however when returning to idle the gage sticks at 2k then finally moves down. any ideas to test?

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tachometer problems on 03 honda 200 hp outboard

Pull the tach and make sure it is set to read the correct number of poles. If you can find out the brand, you can most likely search the internet for an owners manual and based on the engine and number of cylinders find out the correct setting. Mine was like this when I bought it. Most boats with outboards aren't set up for specific motors, and are never adjusted once the motor is installed.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

Actually I did a quick search and found the one I used. My tach is a Faria which is a pretty common brand, but this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about either way.

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0012u.pdf

I love this forum man! Thanks alot man i did see a setting on the tach, Its a honda tach. Looks like i need to make sure its set to 4 from the info you provided me. Thanks again!

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

No problem, like I said mine had the same issue and it was set up for a 4 cylinder and mine is a 3. Make sure to change it before you start it up, but after I did it read the RPM's perfectly.

Bustedknuckle84

Chief Petty Officer

problem fixed had to set it to 4 poles, works really good however it doesnt go to zero when key off, but with key on the gauge moves to zero then again with engine on works good.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

problem fixed had to set it to 4 poles, works really good however it doesnt go to zero when key off, but with key on the gauge moves to zero then again with engine on works good.

Mine does the same thing. I think it sets on like 1 or 2k RPM. I never looked into this further to see if it had to do something with the ground or not, but my main concern was getting it to work when it was running. I had an old chevy pickup with a tach a added later on in it's life and it did the same thing. Never really bothered me much.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Teleflex gauge does the same thing. Goes to 0 when key is on. Maybe an instrument guru can explain why. Little electromagnet inside instrument?