SImple replacement of WP turns to hell on my Early 90's Honda BF15A

kneedragger

Seaman
Well I thought it would be a great winter project to replace my water pump on my outboard. I had never done it since purchasing it used in "95. It only gets maybe 20 hours of use a year, and I change my oil(S) regularly.

I have a clymer manual, and went to go loosen the shift shaft lock nut, and it took a little force. I went to loosen the coupling nut, and it was a BEAR. I decided to spray with PB Blaster and let soak a while. In the mean time I decided to loosen my 4 bolts to the LU. The first one broke on me!!! AAAAARGH. The other three came out, but tons of white corrosion dust. With the LU still in place being held by the guide pins and corrosion, I decided after an hour or so of letting PB blaster soak to try the shift rod. Well the lower rod (shift shaft) to the LU broke!!! with about two nut turns of threads left.

Questions. Is this a common problem????
How difficult is it to replace this rod? I have looked at the diagrams, but are special tools required, do I have to remove the prop shaft?

Also, Can anyone recommend the best place to buy Honda OEM parts cheap?? They are like gold!!

Thanks In advance

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: SImple replacement of WP turns to hell on my Early 90's Honda BF15A

Normally you will find salt formations that sticks bolts on treads that breaks while being removed, worst on engines that haven't had any maintenance done to them at all, that's why is a good norm to place back bolts with threads inmaculate clean coated with a proper marine gresase, that way will avoid or have minimum salt formations on them.

It's a good excersise specially on new motors to remove LU & Powerhead bolts or nuts one at a time, grease them, place them back well torqued, next time you need to remove LU or PH will be a breeze to do so, been doing so for many years with trouble free bolts breaking issues.

Happy Boating

pvanv

Admiral

Right. 16 or 17 years in salt with no LU maintenance will lead to problems with corroded fasteners. That's one reason why the factories recommend annual wp service. That wp should have been serviced a dozen times, and wasn't. Now one "pays the piper". Even in the relatively cold, fresh water of the Great Lakes, with a 6 month boating season, we do impellers at least every 3 years if we know the motor has been used with care in clear water.

kneedragger

Seaman

All,

Thanks for the replies. However, I failed to mention, this motor only saw salt water as a trolling kicker(very little use) for the first two (thats right two) years of its life. The rest has only been on fresh water lake in central Alabama. So, is 14 years of fresh water the issue?

Since I posted, I have disconnected the shift shaft from the lever arm controller and removed it from the motor. I drilled out the broken bottom of the coupling nut ( the broken end that went to the lower unit). to apply some penetrating oil to the other side of the shift shaft. After letting it soak upside down so it would drain into the threads over night, I tried to remove the upper portion of the shift shaft. It BROKE TOO!!!! Aren't these two stainless steel parts? Every time I turn around, I am buying new parts.

I just looked at my other LU's and the upper portion of the bolts that attach the LU have a nut other side---not an encased aluminum housing.---Why can't Honda's great engineers understand the conditions of Stainless, and aluminum don't mix.

Now back to my original questions-----

"Questions. Is this a common problem????
How difficult is it to replace this rod (to the lower unit)? I have looked at the diagrams, but are special tools required, do I have to remove the prop shaft?

Also, Can anyone recommend the best place to buy Honda OEM parts cheap?? They are like gold!!"

Thanks

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Bolt seizing is a common problem for all engine brands if proper maintenance is not done to them at all from new, if you are asking if this is a Honda related problem, a Honda fan will have a proper answer. Personally would not buy a Honda engine because of spare parts, tech information availability, service stations and higher operating costs.

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could try ********** for parts - I have bought Honda 8HP parts there, don't know if they are the cheapest or if they ever sell OEM parts (if you mean, parts not made by Honda). All the parts I have received had the Honda name on the package.