Tohatsu M40D Power trim troubles!!! Sorry for the long post

nathanhawaii

Cadet
My trim/tilt was working fine before i messed it up. The only problem it had was it "bled down" on its own so I would have to trim up every couple of minutes or so to keep it on plane. This was only when running the engine in the water??? I could travel on the road with the engine up(and not manually locked) with no problems at all. It made no unusual or airy/gurgling noises at all. I figured that maybe there was a bit of air in the system. Now, as i sit with a non working power trim/tilt, i think that the problem may be an internally leaking bypass valve. I'll leave that for the experts to confirm or not. I looked in the manual, and the procedure seemed extremely simple. First thing i did was check the fluid level. When i opened the oil plug, pressurized air popped out and fluid started rapidly spilling out(manual could've warned about that). Ok, so the reservoir was full, good. Next i proceded to the air purging instructions. This is directly from the tohatsu manual "Air purging from the Power Trim and tilt unit. Entrapped air in the power tilt and trim unit will cause poor tilting movement. With the engine mounted on the boat, set the manual release valve to the manual side, and tilt the engine manually up/down 5-6 times wile checking the oil level. When done, close the valve by turning towards the power side." And that's it. It doesnt say anything about the fill plug, so i left it cracked open a bit to let air out.Fluid came out continually as i lifted and dropped it manually. I then closed the fill valve, then the bypass valve, checked the fluid level(which was still full even though a lot of fluid came out) tried to tilt with the switch, and nothing. Motor works fine, but no up/down movement. So i then did the exact same procedure, but with the fill plug closed. During this procedure I could hear gurgling noises at the top and bottom 5% of the range of motion. Also when lifting there was absolutely zero resistance at the entire bottom 80% of the range of motion. I could only feel resistance, fluid filling the cylinder, while lifting at the upper 20% range, and then the gurgling at the top 5% range. When lowering, it was basically the exact opposite. I was stumped and frustrated. So I then tried closing the fill plug when lifting, and opening it when lowering. This seemed to help at one point, then made it a little bit worse. Throughout all of this, I continually checked the fluid level and it was always full and spilling out??? I don?t know what to do now. With the bypass valve closed, I can still move the engine up manually about 80% with no resistance. Did I damage the assembly or did I just inject a ton of air into the system? Why would it ?bleed down? by itself while operating in the water, but not otherwise? What should I do to fix this? Thanks for any and all help!

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M40D Power trim troubles!!! Sorry for the long post

Air compresses, oil does not. Pressure throughout the system indicates that a lot of air was in the system. It's impossible to overfill with oil, so all that came out was pushed out by the trapped air.

You could possibly have a bad piston leather (seal) that might have allowed the motor to trim down under the load of running, but not gravity alone. BUT, odds are that trapped air was the culprit. A thorough and complete bleeding of the system might fix everything, or there may be a stuck component. As it is now, it sounds like the system is full of air, with very little fluid. It can take a significant amount of time (days) to completely bleed off the air.

nathanhawaii

Cadet

That makes sense. So how do i go about bleeding the system? Do I perform the procedure stated in the manual once a day or multiple times a day until the air is bled? After performing a set of 5-6 down/ups, how long do i need to wait before opening the fill plug to check the oil? How long do I need to let the air bleed between sets of 5-6 down/ups. Do I check the oil only after raising up and down 5 times or should i check it after every down/up or every couple down/up. Does it matter if the bypass valve is in the "Power" position or "Manual" position when checking oil? Sorry for asking so many q's. I just want to make sure that I'm doing this exactly the right way. My prior experience has only been with an older Volvo I/O 280 leg with an electro-mechanical tilt device. Thanks for the help! It's very much appreciated.

pvanv

Admiral

Air bleeding procedure (close fill plug while bleeding air):
Open manual valve and manually tilt up and down 5 times or more. Close manual valve. Finally perform Power tilt up and check oil level.
If air is deep in the system, it cannot easily be bled, so bleeding at intervals of a few hours to several days is needed.
Use Dexron ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for refilling.

nathanhawaii

Cadet

Ok, I've done one set of about 6 up/downs & it doesn't go up using power trim, I'm guessing because of the air in the system. How do i get around this? Should I just run the power trim until it does something? Also, since it doesn't go up using power trim, how do I check the fluid. Should I open the manual valve and manually lift it after trying with the power trim? Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral

Bleed, fill, repeat. Bleed, fill, repeat. Bleed, fill, repeat...
Do this until the reservoir is full. Then let it rest for an hour. Then repeat every hour. Refill every time, after resting it so air can escape. It may take a few days.

nathanhawaii

Cadet

Understood, and i'm not trying to be a nag, but what I'm asking is, after bleeding when i return the valve to "power", the engine doesn't go all the way up because of air in the system, so is it ok to lift the engine the rest of the way manually in order to access the fill plug? I mean, that's the only way for me to access the fill plug after trying to lift with power since it wont go up enough on it's own. Does this affect the bleeding process?

pvanv

Admiral

Yep, that's it. Be patient, and you will be rewarded with an air-free system.

nathanhawaii

Cadet

Awesome!!!! Thanks for your help, BIG TIME!!!