• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

2011 tohatsu 50tldi problems

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 tohatsu 50tldi problems

Bought the motor brand new in February and in October had the air injectors changed because motor did not want to start right up after long run. Problem was fixed. Well 3 weeks ago motor would run good but then would sound like it would have a mis and run bad, I would idle down it would clear up in 10 seconds and run great. The problem got worse brought it to shop and they had it for 2 weeks and said the air injector was bad again. Got it back and went out this past weekend and motor did not want to idle, it idle rought and up and down with the rpm. Took off and ran good when running, slow down to under 2000 rpm and did the same, rough and up and down rpm. Any ideas? Bought a brand new motor so i wouldnt have to worry about anything and this hunting season has been problems, brand new motor problems. Starting to wish i never sold my old mercury to get new tohatsu. Any comments are welcome, thanks.

Re: 2011 tohatsu 50tldi problems

Your dealer should be able to help you. What diagnostic codes did he get from the motor? How fresh is the fuel? What kind of oil are you running? How do the plugs look?
    Paul
    Certified TLDI Technician
    Buffalo NY USA

Comment

can you say lemon law?? this is the third time for the same problem id make em get me a new motor ..... i dont know what state you live in but most of them have lemon laws that state if a consumer expieriences muliple recurrences of a problem then that consumer may after the 3rd recurrence DEMAND a new product or the return of his/her money - id make em give me a new motor that ones eating those air injectors, thats not to say tohatsu is a bad motor just that that particular one IS bad.

Comment

not sure what diagnostic codes he got form the motor but he had it for 2 weeks and had to call tohatsu to figure out the problem. The gas is new and ethanol free. Im running the tohatsu oil. And i change the plugs today just to make sure and it did the same thing. Start right up but wouldnt idle right and if i rev it to 2000 rpm it would not stay at that rpm, it would drop down and almost kill and idle rough and up and down.

Comment

We don't have any real data [yet] on what has happened. We only know some symptoms, and they seem to be different from the original issue. The current problem may well have different causes. Also, something obscure may have been missed in diagnosis. Since it seems we have good fuel and oil (the most common problems), it's time to have the dealer check out the motor, run diagnostics, and do some testing. Could be almost anything, from a pressure regulator to a cracked reed, to a flaky TPS.
          Paul
          Certified TLDI Technician
          Buffalo NY USA

Comment

It sounds more like the system is not getting the correct electrical voltage it needs to initialize and maintain the ignition system. Could be anything from too small of a battery, bad battery, loose connection or bad wiring....Or it one of a hundred other causes. The engine's onboard diagnostic computer can/does/will tell the story as to what the problem actually is. What's your engine's serial number and I will pull up it's service record to see what has or has not been looked at.
            Elvin
            My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

1) Look in your service manual first...Then ask me if it is correct.
            2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
            3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

Comment

Boat is in shop right now and talked to the guy today and said the motor had no codes on it but he did say he thinks its not getting fuel to #3. He has been on the phone with tohatsu all week to figure it out but no luck let. Brand new battary (the one recommended by dealer) and all connections are good. Not sure of the serial number and dont have boat with me.

Comment

Working...
              X