Starter rope on new Tohatsu 8hp can't be pulled

IPMichael

Recruit
Hi all. I have a brand new Tohatsu 8hp. I am unable to pull the starter rope because of a spring-tensioned interlock that drops down into the path of the wheel. It's located on the top of the engine. To start my new motor, I must remove the cover, manually lift this plastic piece out of the way, which frees the wheel to turn when I pull the rope. What is the purpose of this interlock (sorry, I don't know what else to call it)? The engine is under warranty of course, but it's in the Bahamas, and it's just WAY easier if I can fix it myself. It seems to me that the spring has perhaps unwound and lost its tension, but it's unclear to me what to do.
Help!

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Starter rope on new Tohatsu 8hp can't be pulled

is the motor in neutral ?

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did that piece move when you switch in out of gear?

IPMichael

Recruit

Good question, and yes, the engine is in neutral. I think the interlock is supposed to prevent me from pulling the starter when the engine is in gear. Trouble is, no matter what gear I'm in, the plastic lever is obstructing the wheel from turning. There's a spring wrapped around it, and the spring seems loose, leading me to believe that the spring needs to be tensioned so that the lever only falls into the slot when the motor is in gear, preventing the engine from being started. Since I have never seen how it should look, it's hard for me to repair.

pvanv

Admiral

Yes, that's the starter safety lock. It's cable operated. The cam for it should be vertical when in Neutral. Is the cable connected? There's a small, yellow o-ring that retains the cable on the shifter arm (a bit tricky to access, but easy to see). If that's missing, the cable could jump off the actuator arm, and the cable would stay wherever it wants to, typically with the safety engaged. The spring on the dog is there to assure that the dog drops down whenever the cam is not holding it up in the "safe to start" Neutral position. In a pinch, you can remove the mechanism from the recoil housing... just keep in mind that you will then be able to start even when in gear. Then, when you are near a dealer, have them readjust/repair it under warranty.

F8A3-Recoil.jpg

IPMichael

Recruit

In a pinch, you can remove the mechanism from the recoil housing... Then, when you are near a dealer, have them readjust/repair it under warranty.

View attachment 125654

Thanks, Paul. I am in a "pinch," and that's exactly what I'll do. I get back to U.S. in April, and I'll have it repaired properly at that time. Great advice.
First time user of this forum, and already a believer! Thanks again!