Honda BF25 2004 - Question

TDuff

Cadet
Sorry, in advance, if this is a silly question.:facepalm:

I just wanted to confirm that when I'm under power, the tilt setting for the motor (manual tilt) should be in the "Run" position, and if I run into any submerged objects, the motor will respond by swinging up following impact. There are only two settings, "Run" and "Tilt", and I just want to make sure I'm running in the correct manner.

I'm new at this and don't want to lose the lower part of the leg if I hit a stump.

Thanks,
Terry

TDuff

Cadet
Re: Honda BF25 2004 - Question

Got my answer from the dealer. I was getting some bad advice from a friend.

Midnight Krawler

Seaman Apprentice

Also, the tilt is only for tilting the motor while in the water or servicing/storage on dry land. Don't try driving the boat under power at more than an idle, or trailer down the road with the motor tilted up. It's just not designed for that and it will fail if loaded too much. Ask me how I know!

TDuff

Cadet

MK I appreciate the reply, but that's not the direction I got from the dealer.

My concern was running the boat in shallow water and the fear of striking a stump, log or rock. The advice from the dealer was to place the tilt lever in the "Tilt" position as opposed to the "Run" position. I would not tilt the motor, I'd only have the lever set on "Tilt". This way, if I do strike a shallow subsurface object, the motor will tilt up in response to the strike, and then return to original position.

If the tilt lever was in the "Run" position, and I struck an object with the lower part of the leg, the motor would not tilt up to clear the object. Therefore the leg would absorb the brunt of the force of impact. Granted, I would not have the lever in the "Tilt" position while in reverse or it would tilt right out of the water.