Honda 225 fuel economy

Homeroid

Recruit
I have a 2009 Honda BF225A that ran great for a year, but this past year it has developed a very subtle problem. My fuel economy when at cruising speed (44k rpm / 22 mph / 2.4 mpg) has dropped to 1.8 mpg. Generally now it doesn't matter whether I'm running at 4200 now up to 5200 rpm, I get 1.8mpg. After a long day of running on the water sometimes the rpm on the engine will drop, and fuel economy will immediately improve to 2.4 again.

I like the Honda dealer here as the mechanics appear to be well-trained. They've changed out the map sensor and run diagnostics several times. What else?

Tohonda

Cadet
Re: Honda 225 fuel economy

When was the last service? We had a customer with a similar problem, he turned down an offer to perform his annual service, turned out to be a bad t-stat causing the motor to run cold...He figured it out after running it for almost a year. He came in bragging about how he figured it out and saved the cost of the service...I reminded him that a year of poor fuel economy far outstripped the cost of the annual service...

Homeroid

Recruit
Re: Honda 225 fuel economy

Last service including valve adjustment was 7/11/11.