1984 BF20 2 hp honda- no water out pee whole- how to get to impeller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdlanders

Cadet
Hello guys, I have posted before but not for this engine.

I have a bf20 2 hp honda from 1985 (have the original owners manual). Serial no is BEAS 1002481. I just replaced the carb and header gasket and cleaned the piston and valves, it is running like new.

However, the engine is not shooting water through the pee hole, it was a year ago when I last used the engine. I would like to check the impeller and hose leading to the pee hole but I am not sure what bolts I need to remove to get into the impeller area. I removed the bolts from above and below the cavitation plate and that does not do the trick.

Any advice on how to access the impeller?

I have found the following schematic: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...2AH SA VIN# BAES-1000001/GEAR CASE/parts.html

but I can't figure it out from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

JL

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 BF20 2 hp honda- no water out pee whole- how to get to impeller

Check, clean pee hole for internal passage obstruction first, use (1) compressed air blast, (2) run wire upwards, (3) W-40 shot with inserted red cannula, move back and forth. (2) with engine on. Replace complete water kit or just impeller if liner is in good condition.

Happy Boating

jdlanders

Cadet

The plan is to replace the impeller on this old motor. The question is: can anyone tell me how to access the impeller? There are two bolts near the cavitation plate where the lower unit meets the extension case, I removed them and could not remove the lower unit. Do I need to remove the three bolts that connect the extension case to the power head?

I have not removed a lower unit before and need a little advise on how to access the impeller.

thanks for any help.

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does that motor have a shift, or is it always spinning the prop? My Honda 8HP has a shift linkage from the shift lever down through the foot into the lower unit. You have to disconnect that rod before you can remove the foot. On mine (I have no idea what the 2HP is like, but try looking at an online parts explosion) you have to remove a clevis pin holding the top of the shaft to the lever, and then unscrew the fitting threaded onto the top of that shift rod - which is a real pain, as it is very hard to get any tools back where that fitting is threaded on to the rod's upper end. I left that fitting on the shift rod, and was able to pull the LU down about 6 inches before the fitting stopped further movement - which was enough to access the impeller housing to remove it.

jdlanders

Cadet

This engine is always in gear. When the engine is moving so is the prop. I am thinking I need to loosen something at the top as the shaft is always connected. I was hoping to just drop the lower unit at the cavitation plate and access the impeller from there.

thanks for the input, any one else ever done this?

Peter16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

neither of your links work.
are you sure its not air cooled? most little hondas are now days.

once you remove the the bolts at the cav plate the gear case should come off, it may be seized in the bottom of the crank though.

thinking outside the box, the impeller may be behind the prop shaft like on small 2hp johnsons

jdlanders

Cadet

Peter,

These Honda engines are air cooled engines with water cooled exhaust, so that there is a pee hole and an impeller. Links are to boats . net and this website seems to block the threads.

The blow ups which the links are supposed to go to are easily found under honda outboard parts pre 1997 in the 2hp category. They list an impeller.

Any one who knows how to drop the lower unit would be appreciated.

I am going to get the clymers i guess, but I just thought someone would have some experience with this engine which apparently stayed the same from 85-97.

Anyone have any ideas? Impeller is just above the cavitation plate according to the blow up.

jdlanders

Cadet

One last shot at this guys.

Water no longer coming from pee hole. Would like to replace the impeller. Anyone know how I can drop the lower unit on this model?

I will attempt to re-post the links below:

HTML:
http://www.**********/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/0/BF2AH%20LA%20VIN%23%20BAEL-1000001/EXTENSION%20CASE/parts.html

HTML:
http://www.**********/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/0/BF2AH%20LA%20VIN%23%20BAEL-1000001/GEAR%20CASE/parts.html

just replace *************** with boats . net (without spaces) and it will show you the parts diagram.

jdlanders

Cadet

For anyone in the future the correct answer is: Just remove the bolts above and below the cavitation plate, then hit the cavitation plate with a hammer and the lower unit will drop right off. No pins our connections to worry about at the top of the shaft.

HOWEVER, the impeller cannot be moved up the shaft. So you will have to remove the cover to the gear box (propeller shaft holder), remove an e-ring, and then pull the shaft out.

I have just done this and am going to replace all of the seals to the gear box and the gasket which was removed from the shaft holder.

-Hope this helps someone in the future.

That's all folks.

justin11

Recruit
I'm gonna be changing water impeller this weekend on my 85 honda bf20 I just picked uo...thanks for the info..is there anything else i should do now that I'm about to disassemble??

Status
Not open for further replies.