Honda 130 4-stroke - worth repairing?

Jungleboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I've come across a Honda 130, it's a 4 stroke which I believe is around 10 years old.

On the side it says "Programmed Fuel Injection". The case is silver in color, if that means anything.

At this stage I know very little about the engine, as I was the 3rd party in a conversation in Malay, which I'm not very good at... My understanding is this:

The engine was fine
It was left a long time...
Salt water found it's way through the lower end seals, rusting out the lower bearing. See pic (with my phone, sorry!)

Here it gets complicated, because the owner also said it would need the "pinion gear" and "first gear" replaced. I have no idea if that is in the lower part or at the top of the shaft?

He also said I should replace the timing belt - now here I'm HOPING he means because it's a good thing to change them and better safe than sorry...

I appreciate you can't read minds and don't know any more than I do regarding this specific motor but my general concerns are:

Let's presume they discovered this issue by starting the engine and trying to go somewhere. Would that have caused major damage at the top half of the engine, presuming the bottom half was seized?

What or where is "first gear"? He actually said first gear, in English. I'm presuming, though I could be wrong, that this outboard is like most in that it doesn't have a car-like gearbox as such, just gears in there to turn the shaft and prop?

Very roughly, what would be the value of such an engine? I know locally such things are hard to find and ludicrously over-priced for what they are, however this one is going very cheap. Naturally I'm suspicious as to why so cheap. Could water have somehow crept up along the shaft and destroyed the upper engine or something?

What's the worse-case scenario here?

In terms of pure cosmetics the engine looks good. Very tidy and clean, apart from the rusty bit separated on the floor.

On an unrelated note but I'll ask here as well as a different thread, what kind of performance would one expect from this motor mounted to a 23ft by 8ft V hull fiberglass cabin boat, again very roughly? I ask because the boat in question, I'm told, only did 20 knots with a 150 hp engine. I'm wondering if they had the wrong prop or something, as that seems somewhat slow? It's a V hull but not a deep V like my current boat, which is 19ft by 6ft and does 24 knots with a 90HP 2 stroke.

But anyway, my main question at this stage is would it be worth buying this engine and repairing it?

Bear in mind I'm on the island of Borneo, so there's no Honda dealer here; everything would have to be shipped over.

Questions summary:

How major/expensive/difficult to replace - and just what are - the "pinion gear" and/or "first gear"?

Presuming started and gear engaged while the propshaft was seized, is this likely to have caused major damage in the upper engine? Or would it just stall?

Would salt water have found it's way into the upper engine?

What's the worse case scenario?

Is this engine suitable for a 23x8ft V hull fiberglass over ply cabin boat, for use on the South China Sea?

JB

Attachments

• IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Honda 130 4-stroke - worth repairing?

Answering some points :

-It's still a modern 4 strokes engine.
-Has forward, neutral and reverse as all outboard engines.
-Probably head still in opt state, a matter to trun whywheel to check if seized, if ok, perform a compression test.
-Shaft was probably seized due to water entering lower leg and leaving engine sit for long periods of time.
-Change timming belt, if breaks while engine on will blow upper engine, a costly repair.
-All parts are quite easy to replace if beeing skilled or knowing a reputed workshop to do so.
-Being in Borneo, quote needed parts, if correctly priced, will need to order spare parts catalogue and service manual too.
-Order oil filters, timming belt, plugs, parts hard to find locally to have them as spares if rebuiling that engine.
-20 MPH for a 150 HP is quite low, my 18 horse does 22.0 :D Do you have that engine at hand right now ?

Happy Boating