Will 3 1/2 Tohatsu draw fuel through modified cap?

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
I modified a fuel cap for my Honda generators so it can draw fuel from a remote tank via suction. Can I do the same thing with my Tohatsu 2 stroke 3 1/2? I got a spare cap, removed the vent assembly and used JB weld to install a hose barb, then put on a marine fuel fitting.

I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Tohatsu. Anyone done this? Is there any cap retention chain that would have to be removed?

TGuy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Will 3 1/2 Tohatsu draw fuel through modified cap?

Not sure if it would work with suction only, but I remember years ago some guy did something similar on the 3.5 2-stroke model. Rather than using suction he just left the primer bulb on and as the motor would get low he'd just squeeze the bulb a few times to pump some more gas from the external tank to the internal one. Here's a link to a blog showing his modification:

http://nwpotters.org/mods/elnino/gastankmod.html

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If you have the A model 3.5 there is a fuel pump available for it.

pvanv

Admiral

The M3.5 in stock dress is gravity feed. So if your external tank is above the motor, it would supply fuel to the main tank. Or you could install the vacuum-operated, albeit puny, fuel pump for the 3.5A model, and just connect a separate tank.