2008 Honda 50 HP

oatsx

Cadet
I am thinking aboout buying a 24' pontoon with this motor on it. Being used, I was curious how many hours are considered normal use and how many hours would be considered high use. Your thoughts are appreciated as well as your opinion about this motor in general -

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2008 Honda 50 HP

Assume that combo is used on lakes, calm rivers, etc. If used recreationally should have low hours, if used commercially should have high hours...does the engine have a hourmeter or a way to track elapsed used hours ?

Happy Boating

oatsx

Cadet

Yeah, this was used as a rental on a lake and has about 700 hours. How does that compare? What is the life expectancy on one of these if properly maintained?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Any engine properly maintained can last really loooooong!! Have engines with more than 2K hours on them and still running good without any internal crankcase parts change up so far. If well maintained with correct oil level or 50:1 mixture you are ok. 700 Hrs is very low, just less than 20 hours per month in 3 years.

Happy Boating

oatsx

Cadet

Hey, thanks for the feedback Sea Rider - That gives me a good idea of what these motors can do -

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You are welcome, for your peace of mind and wallet, won't do any harm to have a compression test done to that engine, just to be on the safe side of your investment...

Happy Boating

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to throw my 2 cents on here, but I'd stay away from a rental. Regardless of of how it was maintained, most people that rent a boat have no idea what they are doing, again that's most, not all. My experience when looking at these boats are they look used. I have a 2004 I bought with a 50hp Honda that had 40 hours on it. Personally I like the peace of mind that I bought something nearly new even though its 7 years old. I know how it was maintained and you can tell that it looks like a new boat even for the age. Sure the Honda motors can last forever if maintained, but I don't think it is worth the money you will save unless the boat is half price. I know from when I was looking that most rentals were cheaper but only by $500 to $1000, and I'd rather spend that money to get something less "used."

Like I said this is just my opinion. Honda motors are great and are notorious for their reliability and longevity. I'd recommend them every day of the week.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I'd stay away from a rental. Regardless of of how it was maintained, most people that rent a boat have no idea what they are doing, again that's most, not all.

Yes you are right, engine could be in opt state, but used sometimes by careless people that don't know what they are doing, final $$ price will talk...

Happy Boating

merchonda

Cadet

Correct oil level or 50:1 mixture? Honda's are all 4-strokes so they don't take mixed gas. If you are low on oil and using a 50:1 fuel/lube mix, you will still not be lubricating the crank or valves. Bottom line is you need at least min oil sump levels in a 4-stroke.

I found Honda's make a superb engine but they use a different kind of coated metallic gasket which is real nice for taking apart--they don't have the felt that gets stuck on the mating surfaces. The problem when running in salt water is you get salt deposits that can creep into the mating surface area and cause the gasket to blow. That's really the only premature trouble you'll have with a honda so probably not an issue with the motor you have. You could get a good 2000 plus hours--anything above 130 psi will probably push a boat ahead in water.

As for the rental issue--like any crap shoot, you'll never know for sure it was abused. Even quality stuff treated poorly is a formula for junk. On the otherhand, maybe the rental wasn't used much so they got rid of it. Key is look for telltale signs of abuse like worn wires, latches or corrosion on bolts, impacts on lower unit that could have caused stress fractures--overheat marks in the engine enamel is usually a sign of impending toast.

oatsx

Cadet

They want 9900 for it (without trailer) - I kind of thought that was low enough to take a gamble on - What do you guys think?

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really you need to just look it over. If you feel that it's in really good condition, and you are saving compared to a lesser used model, then it may be worth getting. I paid $9k for the one in my signature. It was only a tad cheaper than other comparable at the time, but I also bought during the summer because I wanted to replace the boat I had just got rid of. I still feel I got a good deal for what was available at the time, but I also like that I bought from the original owners. They had all paperwork including invoice from when they pulled it off the lot. The trailer was flawless and the boat was as close to be brand new as a 7 year boat can be. I'm very glad I spent the money in the end. Go with your gut, if you feel from looking around that it's a good deal and is going to be a good boat based off of what people here have said, then buy it.

oatsx

Cadet

Again, thanks for all of oypur feedback - And yes I am going to end up going with my guy feeling - The dealer dropped the price down to 8900 today which makes me even more inclined to give it a hard look and then go with it if everythingn checks out - Thanks again -

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Again, thanks for all of oypur feedback - And yes I am going to end up going with my guy feeling - The dealer dropped the price down to 8900 today which makes me even more inclined to give it a hard look and then go with it if everythingn checks out - Thanks again -

If he has already dropped it, I'd press to get it even cheaper. For obvious reasons it's a little harder to sell boats this time of year, so I'd play it cool as if you want the boat, but only for the right price.

oatsx

Cadet

Well - I went ahead and took the plunge and bought this boat - I feel like a fair deal - 9900 for te boat, motor, and trailer - all 2008 equipment - I guess I'll wait on the weather to come and go and then put it in the water and see how it is - Thanks for your feedback and comments -