Nissan 1992 40hp outboard motor

joseph35

Recruit
I have two problems with my motor: my boat moves forward when I shift the lever in reverse (I shifted the lever from forward while the boat was in motion to reverse too quickly last week at the lake; could that have caused the problem?). When I turn off the motor, it makes a put put noise for about 4 seconds. Any idea what that could be.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan 1992 40hp outboard motor

What is your model/serial; year is unimportant. Is it remote control or tiller? If you broke parts of the clutch dog, you may be jammed in R. May need to disassemble LU and inspect.

joseph35

Recruit

Model: NS40C
Serial: 67822
remote/tiller: I know its not remote, so it must be tiller.

pvanv

Admiral

Normally, both F and R gears turn all the time. The clutch dog selects which gear drives the prop shaft. Moving the shifter to R lowers the cam in the LU, which forces the clutch dog into the R gear. If that's stuck, or if the push rod spring in the LU is damaged, or if the shifter linkage came apart (either at the rod coupler of up near the powerhead), you could stay in R when you don't want to. Tiller models have a steering tiller handle; Remote models are setup for wheel or stick steering, and have an RC box to operate the shift and throttle via cables.

Grab a Factory service manual, available from any dealer (including me), and you can work on it; otherwise, time for a trip to the dealer for service.