9.9 Honda stalls at idle speed $720 in repair bills it still stalls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncas21152

Recruit
Early on in this year?s boating season I noticed that as I was idling through my marina to get to my dock my 2004 Honda 9.9 would stall out. It has an electric start, so I would just push the button and it would start right up. Then after 1 minute and 17 seconds it would stall out again... I would work the boat starting and stalling into the dock. I took my boat to Cutter Marine in Middle River MD for repair. They are the authorized Honda Dealer where I bought the engine new in 2004. They replaced the thermostat for $245 and told me to come and get the boat. I turned the engine on and after 5 minutes it stalled. I started it back up and in 1 min and 17 seconds it stalled again. I went back to the office and told them that I wasn't accepting the engine as repaired. They said that they would take a look at it.

Two more weeks went by and they told me to come in and pick it up. (This was the week before Irene hit the east coast and they needed the dock space. Cutter Marine is a Hurricane shelter) They put a new fuel pump in the engine and charged me $475.00. The total now is $720.00.

I started the engine and let it run for 20 min... It didn't stall! I motored back to my marina and put her to bed. Hurricane Irene missed the upper Chesapeake, but because of the storm and a lot of debris in the bay I didn?t take my boat out for 2 weeks.

The next time I went out I had a great day of sailing, but when I entered the marina I idled it back down and it stalled again. I started her back up...1 min 17 seconds later it stalled again.

I have been in contact with Honda through this whole ordeal. They told me that they would be in contact with Cutter Marine. Cutter tells me that Honda never called. So after the last episode I called Honda again for a recommendation. I told them that I have no faith in Cutters ability to fix my engine and I would like to know of a repair service that has the ability to repair my engine. Honda asked me to fax my receipts from Cutter. I did. Russel from Honda does not return my calls now. I am out $720 and my 9.9 still stalls at low RPM. I contacted a lawyer who told me that there is no statement on the receipt from Cutter Marine that guaranties the repair so I don't have a court case.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong with this engine?

Beware of Honda dealers repair services.. before they touch your engine make sure there is a warranty for the repairs?. Believe me from my experience with Honda USA you are on your own!

dtj

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 9.9 Honda stalls at idle speed $720 in repair bills it still stalls

Intermittent shut downs are sometimes the hardest problems to diagnose and fix...........sometimes it takes several attempts before finally curing the problem, nature of the beast.............Don

hornblower

Seaman Apprentice

No expert on motors but I do OK at diagnosing. The first thing I think is to isolate what things could cause it to stall after the same 1 min 17 sec. When it turns off perhaps something has a chance to equalize, temperature or pressure and when running after warm up hits a point where pressure again affects it. If it were temperature it probably would not be so consistent so maybe fuel pressure. Have you tried the old squeezing the fuel line bulb trick to see if it helps? Also cleaning the carb with special attention to the float and needle?

stepphen

Cadet

I would get fresh fuel.

Drain the hose too before starting the engine on the fresh fuel.

Also if you engine is in an motor well and the exhaust is filtering up and getting into the carb your plugs will get fouled.

Ethanol in fuel created poor starting and poor idleing.

God luck

stepphen

Cadet

I would not be blinded by the comment 1 min 17 sec it may lead you down a false fools voyage.

sdanville

Cadet

So UNCAS21

Did you ever fix your Honda ? Maybe the vent on the gas tank was plugged.
Or weak spark.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Wow prices, that dealer is a highway robber with machine gun to charge those high out of this planet prices, we are talking about a 9.9 engine, if happened to me, personally would burn down that shop for thier inefficient work and prohibitive prices :mad: If it were a 9.9 Tohatsu both parts would cost no more than $ 100.00 + handlabor :D

Happy Boating

azzurro

Seaman

They say it's fixed, but when you try, it it is not.
The difference is probably fuel line, fuel bulb, fuel can.
So.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Jokes apart, thermostat and fuel pump has nothing to do with stalling problems, unless there's a heat sensor somewhere that shuts egine off when temp starts to rise due to thermostat issues or tail water intake blockage, but it's not your case as you have already a new thermo.

Pump failure issues is at most throttle settings and you have already a new pump, probably an intermitent electric/heat issue on Ignition Coil or CD, warms excesively, shuts off and stalls down engine, a matter to check voltages with engine working and tester to see if inside manufacturer's working parameters.

Happy Boating

1982shark

Recruit

Jokes apart, thermostat and fuel pump has nothing to do with stalling problems, unless there's a heat sensor somewhere that shuts egine off when temp starts to rise due to thermostat issues or tail water intake blockage, but it's not your case as you have already a new thermo.

Pump failure issues is at most throttle settings and you have already a new pump, probably an intermitent electric/heat issue on Ignition Coil or CD, warms excesively, shuts off and stalls down engine, a matter to check voltages with engine working and tester to see if inside manufacturer's working parameters.

Happy Boating

my 9.9 would idle ok but died if gave throttle. our mechanic spent 4 hrs on it , had the carb 3 times off for cleaning, finally running ok.now.
www.marinetec his name is Tony , give him a call.

Tony Zy

Recruit

I just found the same problem with my 2004 Honda 8HP. From what I know the tiller models have the Themo Sensor wired into the ignition control system and if it detects a overheat situation it shuts off the motor. I also could restart the engine with the electric start and the engine would run for 1 min 20 sec every time and then shut down.

After cleaning the carbs and changing the sprak plugs..the problem still persisted. So after looking in the service manual and the thermo sensor info I went ahead a changed the impeller (it did look a little tired) and flushed the cooling system with salt away. Today the enging ran at idle for 30 mins with no problems

Hope this helps

Tony

DaBears

Cadet
New to this forum but having the same issue on a 2006 Honda 9.9. The 14 foot fishing boat and motor are new to me. I changed out the impeller, plugs, carb cleaned, changed gear oil and engine oil, and a new prop. Works great under throttle. When not in gear it will idle all day long. When in gear and going to troll after the engine has been throttled up it will idle for around 2 minutes then shutoff with no warnimg. Starts up right away and runs 1 min 17 seconds then shut off without warning. Starts right up and will idle in gear for 1 min 17 sec then shuts off. Repeats the same. No apparent leaks in the fuel system and I changed the fuel out with fresh and Seafoam and got rid of the old fuel. Certainly not ideal for trolling. E-Start and automatic choke. Overall engine works great except this 1 min 17 sec stall issue in gear in idle. Has me thinking that maybe the prop pitch is slowing the RPM too much???? I believe it is a 9 or 10 pitch. Certainly when it is in gear the RPM decreases a bunch as compared to out of gear but it doesn't sound like it is labouring. Trolls too fast anyway so have ordered a 7 pitch prop for it which will also increase the RPM and slow the troll speed. Any thoughts or comments? I would love to sort this out so I can reliably use the motor without wearing out the E-Start. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.