2000 Honda 8HP Exhaust leak repair

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have what appears to be an exhaust leak on my motor. It bogs down when in the water. On the test stand if I keep the exhaust ports dry and the engine cover off it runs fine.

I'm considering repairing it myself and need help getting through it. If I go at it without help I'm sure I'll disconnect more parts than I need to.

The parts in question appear to me to be #6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 in this diagram.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...AS-1599999/OIL CASE + ENGINE COVER/parts.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2000 Honda 8HP Exhaust leak repair

OK, no help yet.

I took it out for a test and thought you might get a kick out of this. I removed the handel part of the engine cover and made a air sccop to push fresh air down into the engine. And yes, the top end problem was gone

View attachment 119796

I probably have not been specific enough with my question. I don't need a step by step explanation of what to do, really, just which bolt to start with. Do I start right where the engine and shaft extension come together or farther down the shaft extension as if I was changing a water pump? Really, all I need is a starting point. Anyone?

Andy

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2000 Honda 8HP Exhaust leak repair

Well? What did you end up doing?
I just found an exhaust leak on my 1988 Honda 8 HP outboard. Mine is the same issue exactly. I filled the exhaust well up with water to see the bubbling leak and knew the trouble quickly. Now I am looking for parts!