Tilt/Trim for 30 hp Tohatsu problem

Heartbeast

Cadet
I was up on the river for a few days. 2nd day, my tilt trim starting working sometimes/sometimes not. Finally it stopped altogether. It will make a clicking sound at the shifter control and also on the motor control itself but will not work. I don't know much about working on them and will probably just take it to my boat guy but wanted to check for some ideas that I could look at myself if it was an easy fix. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Bob

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tilt/Trim for 30 hp Tohatsu problem

If the hydraulic motor/pump is running OK, check that the fluid is full and bled, and the manual tilt screw is not set to manual. If not, the motor/pump will need checked/serviced.

Heartbeast

Cadet

Thank you. I checked the fluid and added a small amount. I tapped on the piston cylinder and it started moving. Right now it is moving up and down but slower than I remember. Does this sound like a major problem?

-Bob

pvanv

Admiral

Sounds like a sticky brush in the TT motor, which will likely be OK for some time now, if used regularly. Or, could stick again sometime.

Heartbeast

Cadet

Checked it out but finally just put it in the shop. New one and it works great. Thanks.