2000 Honda 8, can I increase HP?

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Good Morning,

I just bought a used Honda 8HP 4 stroke, BZBC1501207, appears to be a 2000. In learning about outboards I noticed that often the same basic
motor is used for two or more different HP models, like a 9.9 being the same as a 15 HP except for carb, reed valves and exhaust and that often one HP can be converted to another HP. So, right to the point, can my Honda 8 HP be converted to a higher HP?

Andy

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2000 Honda 8, can I increase HP?

Well, I did some more reading and then called Honda. They confirmed what I read. My 8 could be converted to a 10 HP but it would need to have the cam replaced along with other things and it just isn't practical.

So, nuff said, thread closed.

Good Morning,

I just bought a used Honda 8HP 4 stroke, BZBC1501207, appears to be a 2000. In learning about outboards I noticed that often the same basic
motor is used for two or more different HP models, like a 9.9 being the same as a 15 HP except for carb, reed valves and exhaust and that often one HP can be converted to another HP. So, right to the point, can my Honda 8 HP be converted to a higher HP?

Andy

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2000 Honda 8, can I increase HP?

Back the truck up...

It occurred to me that the cam they mentioned was the throttle cam, not the camshaft inside. So, anyone tinker with increasing HP in a Honda 8 HP?
Andy

IAMCDN

Recruit
Re: 2000 Honda 8, can I increase HP?>>>bump

Re: 2000 Honda 8, can I increase HP?>>>bump

Back the truck up...

It occurred to me that the cam they mentioned was the throttle cam, not the camshaft inside. So, anyone tinker with increasing HP in a Honda 8 HP?
Andy

I too have just acquired a Honda 8HP...is there a simple upgrade for more HP?
Thanks